Chapter 3

The first thing Clove saw the next morning when she walked into school were hearts. Not just any hearts, sparkly, tacky, pink and red and purple hearts. They were all over the walls, the ceiling, lockers, everywhere. Clove scowled. Oh, how she hated this time of year. 

It wasn't even the end of January, yet students were all talking and thinking about one thing: The Valentine's Day Dance. 

Clove hated the holiday for as long as she could remember. It was just another day to remind people who is in a relationship and who isn't. And pressure's on for those that are to make it an unforgettable day for their sweetheart. Clove hated that. 

Of course, like every other student at Panem High, she attended the yearly festivities. She went to the dance with her friends because they wanted her there. In fact, if it weren't for Cato, she wouldn't go at all. 

Cato took Clove to the dance every year. They were, after all, best friends. Clove only enjoyed herself because of him. They danced and laughed until the late hours of the night, drunk on happiness. 

Clove glared at her locker door when she approached it. A giant red heart was taped on the metal, the glitter on it already starting to flake off. She rolled her eyes as she ripped it off, tossing it in a near by trashcan. "Much better..." she murmured, taking books out of her locker. 

Annie Cresta, one of Clove's friends, called Clove's name from down the hall. Her hair was dripping wet, creating a trail of water behind her on the floor. A poor freshman slipped, landing hard on his back behind her. 

When Annie reached her friend, Clove chuckled. "Early morning swim practice?" she asked, small smile forming on her lips. Annie nodded, leaning against the set of lockers. They had hearts plastered on them as well. "So, Gloss denied the rumor," Annie told Clove with a sigh. "What a relief, right?" 

"Totally," Clove agreed, using her elbow to slam her locker door shut. "Being part of the latest rumor really got on my nerves," she admitted. 

The two girls started down the hall, Annie grimacing as she held a strand of her hair up. "Those hearts got my hair all full of glitter." She shook her head, sparkled raining down to the floor. Clove brushed some off of Annie's shirt, face full of disgust. "I hate this stupid holiday, and glitter." 

Annie said, "Yeah, I know. Though, I only think it's because you don't have a boyfriend. But who knows? Maybe this will be your lucky year. After all, Cato's been talking about asking some girl out to prom this year." Prom was a month after the Valentine's Day Dance, and more formal. 

Clove's cheeks tinged with red for a moment, before she snapped back into reality. "We're just friends," she insisted, though she wished they were more. "And I loathe sparkles. Glitter reminds me of Glimmer, who I'm not too fond of either." Annie laughed. 

Glimmer Hills was one of the most annoying, stuck up girls at Panem High. She was a popular, slutty, bitch who got on Clove's nerves. Neither girl liked one another, so they avoided each other as much as they possibly could. 

"You could be more than friends. I mean, you do have a massive crush on him," Annie pointed out. 

"It's not massive..." 

"Yes it is. Face it Clove, you're in love with him." 

Clove shook her head. She didn't love Cato. She knew she didn't. She can't. She couldn't. 

She knew he only saw her as his friend, like a little sister. There would be no way of them being in a romantic relationship. End of story. 

The girls headed to their first class together, which Cato was in. All of their friends were in it, actually. 

"I don't love him," Clove said, taking her seat. "He's my best friend." "Whatever," Annie replied. "You stay single, then. But I know one thing: I don't know what I'd do if I wasn't with Finnick." 

Annie had been dating Finnick Odair since they started junior high. The two were soul mates, destined to be together. If Clove were to pick a couple that would end up getting married and spending the rest of their lives together, it would be them. Or Katniss and Peeta. Or Gale and Madge. Or Marvel and Jackie. 

Okay, so most of her friends were in love. Besides Johanna, who doesn't like boys. And many were scared of her, anyway. She's totally bad ass and can act like a bitch. But she could be a great friend, and like an older sister to Clove. All of her friends are like her siblings. Except for a certain blonde haired blue eyed, muscular one... 

"I told you," Clove began. "I may like him, but that doesn't mean that he likes me back. He sees me as his younger sister." 

"You guys would be a cute couple." 

"But-" 

Clove didn't get the chance to finish her sentence. She was cut off by the bell. She sighed, resting  her cheek in the palm of her hand. This is going to be a long day.