Chapter 40

Mr. Hadley wasn't a fool. He noticed his son's behaviour changing over the course of the month, and he was worried. He began to hear more and more about a girl named Glimmer and less and less of Clove.  And when Cato came home from the mall that afternoon, he knew something was defiantly wrong. He heard everything from his wife, that Clove and Cato were on bad terms. It showed through the boy's actions. 

Cato slammed the front door, footsteps heavy as he entered the kitchen. He hung up his care keys on their hook and he shrugged his jacket off. He hung it up with a sigh, clutching something in his hand. His father was sitting in the living room, paging through the newspaper. he put it to the side, calling out his son's name. "Cato! Come here please!" 

Cato entered the living room and sat down across his father. "Hey, Dad," the boy said, leaning back against the couch. "What's wrong, son?" was his father's reply. "You seem frustrated." 

Cato sighed, looking down at his lap, then back up again at his father. "I was Clove at the mall today," he started out with. When he got no reaction out of the man before him, the blonde teen decided to go on. "I tried to tell he I was sorry. And I told her that I stuck up for her when Gloss started to talk trash about her, but she wouldn't listen to me. She's just so stubborn, and she always wants to win a petty argument." 

"Sounds like you," Mr. Hadley pointed out, earning raised eyebrows from his son. "You always want to win an argument. You're stubborn, and don't like to admit your true feelings." 

"That's just it," Cato breathed. "I know how I feel about her now. But she hates me, Dad. She doesn't want anything to do with me anymore. I was so stupid, denying my feelings towards Clove. And now that I've come to realize how much she really means to me and where I want our relationship to stand, I've lost her." 

"She loves you too, you know," was the man's response. "She's like you, doesn't like to say it out loud because she's scared that it will change things between the two of you." 

"How would you know?" Cato asked. His father told him, "Because she told me herself." 

It was Clove's twelfth birthday, and she stood in her kitchen. Everyone was outside in her backyard instead of her. She paced around the room back and forth, clutching the locket dangling from her neck. It was Cato's birthday present to her, and she absolutely loved it. But it also made her confused, extremely confused. 

"What does this mean?" she questioned aloud. "Does he see me as more than a friend? Oh, what am I going to do?" Clove stopped and put a hand up to her head, massaging her temple. She had a crush on Cato, and she couldn't help but feel giddy. He had smirked as she opened up her gift, and he had even put it on her himself. 

"It's beautiful," she said. He then replied, "Just like you," and gave her a hug. 

Clove bit her lip, a nervous habit she had. He was always sending her mixed messages on whether he liked her liked her or not. But he was a thirteen year old boy. He didn't know what to feel. 

Clove shook her head, rolling her eyes at her behavior. "Stupid girl," she murmured. "Your twelve years old, not sixteen. Stop it. Cato doesn't like you like that." 

"Yes he does," said a voice from the doorway. Clove turned to see Cato's father enter the kitchen. "Hey Clove," he said, ruffling her hair. "Hi Mr. Hadley," she said back, cheeks turning red from embarrassment. 

"Clove," the man said. "I want you to be honest to me. Do you have a crush on my son?" The girl nodded and declared meekly, "Yes." 

"He likes you too, he just doesn't like admitting that his mother and I are right." 

"That was years ago, Dad," Cato told his father with a huff. "I'm not done," the man said sharply. 

Clove bit her lip. "Pull it together, Clove," she told herself before reaching out in front of her and ringing the doorbell. Much to her surprise, it was he best friend's father that answered the door. "Clove!" he exclaimed. "What are you doing here?" 

"Is Cato home? He hasn't been answering my calls," she asked. "Sorry," the man said. "He's out with his girlfriend." Clove frowned. "Well, can you just tell him that I stopped by?" 

"Sure," Mr. Hadley nodded. The girl began to walk away.  "Clove?" She turned around. "He loves you, you know." He noticed her lips break out into a grin. "I love him too." 

Cato stared down at the golden locket in his hands. "I really screwed up," he said, more to himself than to his father. "What the hell am I going to do?" 

And then it dawned on him. He promised Glimmer he'd take her to the prom. Once that was over, he would tell Clove he loved her. And he was going to kiss her, something he wanted to do for a long time. He was going ti show her what she meant to him. And he wasn't going to let her walk away from him again. 

Double update today. I'm proud of myself. And I figured out my sister's Christmas gift. She's going to love it.