Chapter 6

Glimmer Hills trotted down the hallway, high heals click clacking on the tiled floor. She tossed her hair over her shoulder, smacking her bubble gum as she approached her locker. She smiled when she saw the mini pink hearts scattered on it. They were glittery, of course. Just the way Glimmer liked things. 

She checked her makeup in the mirror hanging on the inside of her locker, smirking, feeling satisfied. The feeling quickly went away when she gazed down the hall. Clove Sevina was talked to Glimmer's boyfriend. Okay, so Cato wasn't her boyfriend, but she felt it in her gut that he would be soon. After all, almost every boy in their grade had the hots for her. 

Glimmer scowled, and Delly, Glimmer's friend, noticed. "What's wrong, Glim?" she asked the sour blonde, sipping her latte. "Why are you doing that?" 

"Doing what?" Glimmer practically growled. Delly shrugged, gesturing to Glimmer's face. "Why are you scowling?" Glimmer folded her arms over her chest, rolling her blue orbs. "Sluterlla is all over my boyfriend. What a bitch."

Delly chuckled, resting her hand on Glimmer's shoulder. "He isn't your boyfriend," she pointed out, small grin on her face. Glimmer glared and Delly, shrugging the hand off. "Not yet, he isn't," Glimmer said. "But we will go to the prom together. Just you wait and see." 

"He wants me," Glimmer said as she watched Cato and Clove laugh. "He's just hung up on little miss pipsqueak. Well, once he sees the person she really is, he'll come crawling to me. I mean, who does she think she is? The freaking queen of England? Whatever. She may like him, but I know he doesn't like her. At least, not in a romantic way. She's a freak. I'm hot and popular. And I have expirience with boys. They all want one thing. And, according to the guys I've dated, it's sleeping together. Clove would never do that. He'll be mine. I just know it." 

Delly sighed, but nodded. "Alright, Glim. I believe you." 

"You should," Glimmer stated, slamming her locker door shut. She turned to Delly, smiling. "Besides, Clove's not like me. I'm what Cato really needs." 

And on that note, the two girls flipped their hair, smacked their gum, and walked down the hall. 

***

Clove glared, jabbing at her pasta with her fork. Glimmer was such a slut. What guys see in her, Clove didn't know. 

She shook her head, shoving a noddle in her mouth. Her friends were all having their own little conversations with one another, but Clove remained silent. Rumor has it, Cato and Glimmer Hills were to be the power couple of the school by prom. "To Hell with her," Clove muttered to herself. "And her little minions." 

Cato gave her a questioning look. "What'd you say Clove?" Clove waved her hand as to dismiss the question. "Nothing," she said, giving him a nod for reassurance. "It's nothing," she repeated. 

Gale Hawthorne burst out in laughter, throwing his head back. He wiped fake tears from his eyes, face red. "Good one Clove!" he chuckled. Clove growled, jabbing her fork at him. "Shut up before I cut you into little pieces." 

Ignoring Clove's last comment, Katniss Everdeen placed a hand on Clove's back. "Clove, you can tell me. What's bothering you?"  Clove stayed mute, her eyes shooting daggers at the bitchiest girl in school. Kat's eyes followed Clove's gaze, and she let out a sigh. 

"Really?" Katniss raised her eyebrows. "Don't let them get to you, Clove." Peeta looked at his girlfriend, confusion written across his face. Katniss rolled her eyes. It was quite obvious. 

"Glimmer," was all she said, before taking a bit of her sandwich. 

Cato slung his arm around Clove's shoulders, pulling her into a side hug. Clove's cheeks turned pink, and she thanked God that he wasn't able to she her blushing. 

Marvel and Jackie clearly did. "Aww!" they both squealed in unison. They turned to each other, grinning. "Jinx!" they hollered. "Double jinx! Triple jinx! Okay, fine. You win!" the two cried at the same time. Johanna gritted her teeth, holding up a fist. 

"Oh, cut it out with the damned jinxes already!" 

Cato pulled away from Clove, winking at her. "You alright now, Clover?" She nodded, grin on her face. "Thanks," she said, before turning her attention back to her food. 

Glimmer and her crew were laughing at something from across the cafeteria. Clove tried to ignore it, but the noise just kept getting louder and louder and louder and louder...

She clenched her hands up in fists so hard that he knuckles turned white. She took a deep breath to try and calm herself down. Normally, Glimmer wouldn't get to Clove. But, with that rumor spreading around, Clove felt weak. She felt like Cato would ditch her to go with the blonde bimbo across the room. She was also extremely pissed off. 

Now matter what, she would not let Cato turn into one of those people. If he likes Glim Glam, then he likes her. But Clove knew one thing: Cato was not like Glimmer's kind. They were a foreign species, and Clove's best friend was fine just the way he was. 

"Bitch..." Clove mumbled, finishing up the last of her lunch.