Chapter 37

Cato sat in Gloss' living room on one of the couches. Gloss was in the room with him, along with a tall boy named Thresh. The three boys had been talking and watching hockey games all day long. 

Much to Cato's dismay, Cashmere, Delly, and Glimmer were all upstairs laughing so much and too loud. "Why are they so damn loud?" he huffed after taking a sip of his soda. Gloss threw his head back in laughter, and said, "You better watch yourself, Hadley. That's my sister and your girlfriend you're talking about." 

"But you have to admit," Thresh pointed out, "that he's right. What are they even doing up there, anyway?" Gloss shrugged, returning his gaze back to the television screen. "Probably talking about girly things. Like who's the ugliest and prettiest in the grade or some shit like that." 

Gloss turned slowly to Thresh, smirk on his face. "Actually, that's not a bad question." He locked eyes with Cato for a moment, who was uncertain as to where the other boy was getting at. "Who do you think is the hottest girl in the school?" Gloss asked, the question directed at all three of them. "Personally, I think it's Clove Sevina."

Cato felt his temper rising. His fists balled up and his whole body tensed up. This went unnoticed by the other two teens. 

"Yeah, she is good looking," Thresh agreed. "But she's got a temper. And a stubborn one, she is. She seems like a difficult girl to be with. Probably demanding and needy. I don't like needy." 

Gloss nodded, leaning back against the couch. "She's feisty," he added. "And I like feisty. I bet she'd be good in bed. Got a nice ass. And I bet if you got her drunk, which would be easy since she's so small, she'd be a good bang." 

Cato felt himself growing angry. Friends or not, they were still talking about Clove like she was some object, some toy. He hated listening to Gloss and his crude comments. They made Cato feel sick. 

Gloss, oblivious to Cato's feelings, went on. "She's independent, which is a bad thing. She likes to go off and do her own thing. Cato, you're lucky. Glimmer practically throws herself at you. I bet she does whatever you want her to. That's the kind of person Clove should be. She's too, well, Clove. She needs to be more like Glimmer or Delly." 

Cato had heard enough. "Shut the hell up, Gloss," Cato sneered, earning a questioning look from the other boy. "Excuse me?" Gloss asked with raised eyebrows. "What is your problem, man?" 

"My problem," Cato growled, venom laced with his tone. "Is that you're talking about Clove like sh'es just another toy." 

"You and I know everything I just said is true," Gloss pointed out, rising to his feet. "She's controlling and needy and pushy. I mean, come on Cato. Wake up and come back to reality. She was super clingy to you. I mean, a person cannot possibly need another person that much. She's moody and judgmental. But she is smoking hot. The only things she'd be good for is sex." 

Before he made sense of what he was doing, Cato got up and punched Gloss in the face. He grabbed the other teen by the collar and pushed him against a wall. Gloss, being the cocky and arrogant guy he was, kept a smirk on his lips the whole entire time. 

"Don't you ever," Cato warned. "Say that about her again. Sure she may be moody and judgmental. And yeah, she's independent and feisty and stubborn. But she's sweet, she's caring, and she's ten times the person you'll ever be. She's the best person I've ever met in my life. She's there for you when you need her to be. She's always free to listen to whatever problem you may have. She's smart, she's funny, and yeah. I guess you're right about one thing. She's hot. 

"But she is so much more than what she looks like. She's strong and brave and determined. And don't you dare talk about her like she's worthless, Gloss. Because you and I both know that she's so much more than that. She's real and I love her. So you better shut your mouth before I shut it for you." 

Before Gloss could respond to Cato's outburst, a squeal erupted from behind them. It was Glimmer, and she had the biggest smile on her face. "Cato!" she exclaimed, pulling him into a hug. "Thank you so much for sticking up for me like that, babe! I love you too!" She smashed her lips against his without a moment's hesitation. 

Gloss scoffed from behind them. "Sorry, Glimmer. But I'm afraid you've been mistaken. He was defending Clove, not you. Your precious boyfriend is in love with another girl. " 

And that was when Glimmer Hills exploded. 

And so the drama ensues. As it will in the next chapter too. Today is my final day of Thanksgiving Break, and I am not looking forward to go back to school tomorrow. I just want to stay home and sleep. And write. 

I cannot believe tomorrow is the first day of December either! Time sure does fly by!