Chapter 14

Clove lay on her bed, music blaring from her speakers. It was a soft song, filled with lots of dramatic and heartbreaking lyrics. Here and there, she threw in a few heavy metal songs to release her anger, and to vent. Right now, it was a depressing kind of song. And whatever genre of music Clove played always expressed her mood. 

Mrs. Sevina trudged up the stairs, balancing a stack of clothes in her hands. She passed her daughter's room, and could hear music coming through her wooden door. Clove's mother sighed, setting the pile of clothes down right there in the hallway. She knocked on the door, once, twice, three times before she got a groan in response. 

Clove put her hand up to her forehead, sitting up. "Come in!" she yelled over the noise. Her mother came in, hands pressed to her ears. "Turn it down!" she told her daughter.

"What?!" 

"Turn it off!" 

Clove shook her head, getting up and turning off her stereo. "Sorry," she said with a sheepish smile on her lips. "My music was too loud." 

"Yeah," Mrs. Sevina agreed, taking a seat on the purple bed sheets."I could hear it all throughout the house."

"Sorry," Clove apologized again, taking a seat next to her mother. "Did you need something?" she asked, head cocked to the side.  

Her mother placed a hand on her knee, and Clove narrowed her eyes. "What is this about?" Her mother sighed in reply. She took a deep breath before telling her daughter, "Is everything okay? School going alright?" Clove nodded slowly, still confused. "Yeah," she drawled, inching away from her mom. "Are you okay?" 

The woman sighed again. She was very concerned about her daughter. She knew Clove always stressed out over things a bit too much, but this time was different. Something was clearly wrong, no matter if the teen wanted to admit that or not. 

And like her daughter, Mrs. Sevina was a intelligent woman. She was almost certain it had something to do with a specific blonde boy, which was strange. Clove never had boy problems. If anything, it was always about her grades or something else along those lines. 

"I'm fine," Clove's mother responded, smiling lightly. "It's just... Well, I'm worried about you, Clove. Something's bugging you, I can tell. Did you and Cato get into a fight?" 

Clove couldn't help but cringe at the mention of her best friend. No, they weren't fighting, but did this have to do with Cato Hadley? Hell yeah, it did. 

"No," Clove said, biting her lip. "We aren't arguing or anything." She sighed, brushing some hair behind her ear. "The Valentine's Day Dance is coming up and Cato wants to take Glimmer Hills. He likes her, likes her." 

Her mother nodded. So that was it. She knew how her daughter felt about her friend, and always told her to make a move. Clove would always push the thought aside, saying she didn't want to ruin the good friendship that they had developed. 

But no matter what Clove said, Mrs. Sevina knew: Her daughter had it bad for the Hadley boy. 

"He's not taking you this year?" the woman gasped. "Oh, dear. That is strange, very unlikely. I thought he always took you because he had a crush on you, not some other girl." 

Clove shook her head. "Nope," she replied. "Mom, Cato doesn't like me in that way. Anyway, he wanted me to help him get this other girl to like him. So, that's what I'm doing. I'm acting like a great best friend and supporting him." 

"But you love him." 

"Mom.." Clove drawled. 

"Clove..." her mother mocked. "You know that I'm right, even Cato's mother does." 

Clove huffed, though had a grin on her face. "The two of you need to get a hobby instead of trying to set Cato and I up." Her mom smirked as she made her way out of the room. "It's fate!" she called over her shoulder. 

Clove chuckled, laying back down on her bed. Cato and Clove, they were best friends. Nothing more, and certainly nothing less. That's the way it always was, and it looked like that's the way things would stay. 

***

Finnick: Hey

Annie: Hey Finn, what's up? 

Finnick: What's been going on with Cato and Clove lately? 

Annie: I honestly don't know. Clove keeps saying that she's cool with Cato trying to woo Glimmer, which we all know he already has, and Glimmer just likes all of the attention. 

Finnick: Well, that's kind of obvious, Annie. Cato's just way too oblivious to the fact that Glimmer's a bitch. 

Annie: I know. And I feel absoluetly terrible for Clove. 

Finnick: Enough depressing talk. 

Annie: Okay, then what did you want to talk about? 

Finnick: How much I love you. (;

Annie: Oh, stop it. 

Finnick: See you tomorrow? 

Annie: Yeah. 

Finnick: I love you. 

Annie: I love you too. 

Some Fannie action at the end. What can I say? They're a cute couple. AND OMG THE MOCKINGJAY TRAILER TODAY! I literally ran off of my bus and to my house, up the stairs, and to my laptop and watched it with my sister. I had to wait all freaking day to see it because I had stupid school. 

And I'm not even half way done with The Maze Runner and the movie comes out on Friday and I read a spoiler on Instagram and I was pissed. 

Anyway, sorry I took so long to update. With school and dance classes and Spanish Club and Art Club coming up, I am busy! Thanks for sticking with me!