Chapter 44 *EDITED*

I opened my eyes only to close them because a ray of light blinded me. There was noise all around me, people talking some walking and some running. It was like I was in a busy mall yet the vibe was sad and down.

I opened my eyes again and took in the scene around me. I was laying on a thin uncomfortable bed, thin old torn curtains were drawn to close me off from the rest of the people which I could hear were just next to me. There was this smell of disinfectant that just made me want to vomit. I tried to move but pain shot all over my body causing me to groan loudly.
I looked to my right to see a person sitting on a chair but his head was laying awkwardly on the bed just next to my head. He looked troubled even in his sleep and I couldn't help but adjust his head so his neck wouldn't become sore from the way he was sleeping.

His hand was holding hard onto mine like he was afraid I would disappear if he let go.

I watched Rafael for so long tears threatened to spill out. How could someone so beautiful, so handsome be so twisted. His hair was messy yet he still looked like a Greek God.

My eyes moved from him to my belly which was not as big as I last saw it. It then clicked that I was having a baby. I swiftly ripped the drip from my arm and slid down the bed which caused tremendous pain but I didn't care.

I was wearing a worn out hospital gown, I walked bare footed and opened the curtain that closed me off from rest of the people around. When I stepped out my eyes fell on almost about thirty hospital beds with people laying on them, some of them were sleeping, some were talking to their family members and that's when I realized that I was at a ward at the village clinic.

I was the only one who had the curtains around her bed, everyone was just bare for anyone to see. The floor was dirty, the tiles had dirt you could see that could never be removed, they were old and chirped.
All eyes snapped on me and I continued walking to find a nurse. It was agony but I didn't care.
I saw a nurse pass and I shouted.

She came to a halt and looked at me shocked.

"Mrs Vintagè you should not be walking." The nurse said scorning me.

"My Baby, where is my baby?" I asked panicked in a way, my heart was drumming and I was scared. Had she survived?

The nurse took a deep breath.

"You should not be out of bed Mrs Vintage, please go back to bed." She said.

"I am not going back to bed without seeing my baby!" I said loudly causing quite a stare.

The nurse looked at me frustrated, really she looked pissed off in a way. So many people were at the hall some passing while some gathering around watching the seen unfold.

This clinic was fully packed.

"We are still running tests on her, when we are done you can see her."  The nurse said walking off.

I looked at her walk away, taking the news in.

My baby was alive, I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

I felt like dancing around and shouting on top of my voice.

"Wait!" I said after the nurse but she kept walking.

"Wait please!" I said causing her to stop on her tracks irritated.

"What tests? Is she alright?" I asked panicked.

"Your baby was born three weeks before her due date because there was a placental abruption which was caused by high blood pressure. Your baby was deprived of oxygen and nutrients for minutes now excuse me I have other patients who really need help." She said walking off her attitude washing over me like a water being poured on a duck. All that mattered right now was my daughter and for that she could scream at me all she wanted.

I stood there but my knees felt weak and they started shaking then just gave up, I had overworked my body. I thought I was going to hit the floor but before I could strong arms caught me in the air.

"You shouldn't be out of bed," Rafael said as he carried me bridal style and walked back to the full ward.

"I just wanted to see my baby," I said lowly.

"Have you seen her?" I asked him looking up.

"No, I last stole a glance after the operation before they took her away." Rafael said as he placed me on the bed.

"I want to see my baby," I said seating up and staring at Rafael.

He looked like he went to hell and came back. There were dark circles under his eyes which were shallow and red themselves. His lips were parched, a dark cloud cast on him but that was to be expected he just lost the love of his life.

"I know," he said looking down as if he was ashamed.

"How long has it been since the operation?" I asked.

"Twenty-two hours," Rafael said.

"I hope she is alright. What did the doctor tell you?" I asked him.

My head was aching along with my body but I didn't care. I wanted to know what was keeping my baby away for so long.

Rafael took a deep breath as he ran his hand over his silky hair.

He started walking around my bed nervously.

"The doctor said the placenta had ruptured, he said your high blood pressure was too high which may be caused my persistent high levels of stress. The rupture caused a lot of bleeding and the baby was not getting any oxygen or nutrients. It was a miracle she survived." He said slowly.

He took a deep breath as I fought back tears, I could have lost my baby. I was so close to losing my baby.
I hope she was strong, I hope she was okay. I couldn't wait to see her and hold her in my arms. It seemed like time was passing by so slow, every time a nurse would come in we would look up hoping she is calling us but nothing.  Minutes turned to hours and I was so anxious. Rafael and I hadn't spoken a word after what he told me. He just sat at the chair next to me looking outside the dusty old window.
Next to his chair was a pink large baby bag full of supplies, I guess the guards had brought the babies things.

"Aren't you hungry?" Rafael finally asked turning from the window to look at me.

"No," I said back.

"You should eat," he said.

"Nah, I'm fine." I said back.

"Harley you will be no good to the baby if you weak and passed out, you need to eat to recover." He said.

"You don't get to tell what to do, this is all because of you so you don't get to act like you care now." I said angrily.

Rafael didn't answer but just looked at me with sad eyes, he looked at me for several minutes until I turned my back on him and slept on my side.

"I do care," I heard him say, barely audible.

"Fuck you," I said and closed my eyes trying to control my anger.