1.0 - Megan

MEGAN MOORE

MEGAN MOORE

Slamming my foot down on the clutch I changed the gear before speeding up, I was running late for the second time this week. My mobile phone's alarm had been playing up, maybe it was because I had dropped my phone one too many times, maybe it was because it was so old now. I just hadn't got around to purchasing a new one, that meant taking time off and I just found myself at work as much as possible, throwing myself into my work to avoid the real problems I had. 

I slowed down as I approached work not wanting to be seen speeding and drifting into the car park, I might drive for a living but I didn't think it would be appreciated outside of the track. Once parked up I put my lanyard around my neck and quickly exited my car grabbing the holdall from my passenger seat then slamming the door shut behind me. My heels were annoyingly loud as I crossed the carpark at speed before swiping through the access door and entered the building. 

"Morning, Meg," I heard a voice greet me and when I looked up I saw it was Agnieszka, the young woman who sat on reception Monday through to Wednesday. "Running late again?" She asked with a smile as she tucked her bright blonde hair behind her ears. 

I nodded, "My bloody alarm didn't go off again." I let out a sigh as I pushed through the barrier and walked through into the offices, I made my way through the quiet office before heading to the other side to where the practice track area was, my hands gripping my holdall tightly. 

"Well, good morning, Megan," Maurizio's voice made me jump as I opened the door to the outside. I stopped in my tracks and moved my head to followed the sound of his voice only to see he wasn't alone. "Nice of you to finally join us," he tapped his fingers on his watch as I looked at him before looking at the several people he was with, none of them which I recognized.

"Sorry," I mumbled awkwardly feeling foolish being called out in front of all these people. "My alarm-"

Maurizio waved it off, "I don't have time for your excuses, go and get changed."

I nodded before walking in the opposite direction and entered the changing rooms, there I stripped out of my smart clothing and pulled on a light pair of leggings and a tight white top. I struggled to unzip my overalls which were hanging waiting for me, my hand was shaking due to being nervous that I was late, I hated disappointing people and I could see from the look on Maurizio's face that he wasn't happy. After a few moments I managed to sort it out before pulling it up over my legs, tying the arms around my waist, grabbing my bag I pulled out the racing shoes that I had had for the last year or so, a black pair which I pulled on with ease slapping the velcro across the top making them tight before looking in the mirror at myself. 

The red overalls messed with my complexion from time to time and this morning I looked like absolute crap due to oversleeping and not getting to put any makeup on. My shoes were looking a little tatty as I looked down at them, I'd have to invest in a new pair soon especially if I wanted to keep my performance at it's best. Reaching into my bag I grabbed a hair tie leaving it around my left wrist before chucking everything on the bench and leaving the changing rooms.

When I glanced over at Christian he was with a new bunch of people, this time though I did recognise a couple of the people. I walked towards them as I played with the hair tie that was on my wrist something I did when I was unsure of the situation. 

"Megan," he nodded at me before he smiled. "So, let me introduce you to the rest of the racing team," Maurizio didn't sound mad at me being late any more, in fact, he seemed quite chipper. "This is Charles," he put his out his right hand toward the young man on his right, "He only joined us at the beginning of this year ready for the new season."

The young man extended his right hand for me to shake, I put a smile on my lips as I reached for his hand and shook it. "Nice to meet you," I spoke politely as I took my hand back. I looked at the man in front of me, he looked like he was barely out of his teens. I guess they bring the driver's in young now, his hair and eyes were a matching light brown colour, his hair was styled a little with some gel but I guessed that was a mistake he'd made in his haste to get ready in the morning when I noticed his helmet under his left arm.

"The pleasure is mine," he was so sweet as he spoke, his accent was French and from his words, it was obvious he had been taught English well and from a young age. 

Maurizio spoke again getting my attention back, "This is Mark," he motioned to his hand to the man who was on Charles' right, "Mark is Charles' test driver."

I looked towards the new man who was introduced to me, "Nice to meet you," I said as I offered my hand first this time.

The man took my hand, "You too." His voice was low and gruff as he spoke but the smile on his lips told me he didn't bite as his voice suggested. I guessed he was around my age, about 25 and from his accent, he was from the UK probably from somewhere closer to Scotland due to the twinge in his voice compared to my London accent.

"And," Maurizio said as I looked back at him, "This," his left hand motioned to the guy to his left. He was someone I recognised from the track, someone I had seen racing and at many different race tracks when I worked with other companies. "Is Sebastian. You and Sebastian are going to be working together."

I smiled at the German man in front of me, of course being in the Formula One world I had heard things about him, read articles on him and even once shared a track with him, not that he would remember. He didn't return my gesture, he did offer me his hand though, my eyes looked down at his hands, they were calloused and his palm was discoloured probably from the dirt that was on the front of his overalls. 

"Nice to meet you," I repeated the phrase I had said twice already as I carefully shook his hand. My eyes met his, they were a dull shade of blue, a little like my own, I had to admit eyes were my thing, I always noticed people's eyes first when I met them. 

He nodded before taking his hand back, I let my arms fall to my side before I looked back to Maurizio who grinned, "As I was saying, you two are going to be spending a lot of time together." He glanced at towards Sebastian, the two men standing at the same height, "Megan is going to be your new test driver."

Sebastian looked back at me, I watched him as I tried to gauge how he felt about it. He muttered something barely audible, I couldn't make out what he said before he looked back at Maurizio. "I thought you said I would get to choose who I work with?"

I looked at Maurizio, I wanted to hear what he had to say for himself. I needed this job, I didn't want him to have brought me here as some kind of test which was going to fail. "Megan is the best test driver there is who knows this industry like the back of her hand." He smiled in my direction as he spoke highly of me, then he looked back at Sebastian. "She's worked alongside Fernando and Lewis. Megan has been driving since she turned five. Her family connections-"

"You don't need to go into all that," I cut Maurizio off. I didn't want people to know me for my family and friends, I wanted to be known for me and what I could do. I wanted my name to mean something because of who I was. My attention turned to Sebastian, "Why don't you let what I can do on the track tell you all you need to know?"

Sebastian looked a little taken back by my words. Maurizio was smiling, I guess he didn't think I was as feisty as I was, I had been working with people like Lewis Hamilton I couldn't just let men walk all over me thinking they knew best. Charles and Mark let out small chuckles from where they were standing. I turned to look at them before speaking, "Laugh all you like boys. I have no problem proving myself to everyone."

Maurizio placed a hand on my right shoulder before he spoke, "I think you're going to get on just fine on the team." He nodded before he walked away, "Play nice!" His voice called as he walked away leaving the four of us standing there.