11.0 - Calling Simeri Mare

MEGAN MOORE

It had been a week since I had arrived in Italy. Every day had been the same so far, get up, go to work, test drive, compare how shit my driving was against Sebastian's before leaving. Every night had been the same too; I would leave work, find somewhere to purchase something to eat before returning to the apartment eating whatever I had brought before falling asleep in my bed in front of the telly. 

I doubted that today was going to be any different. I woke early, as usual, slapping on some makeup and brushing my hair away from my face. I decided to mix it up with my clothing today, so far I had only opted to wear trousers, a shirt and a blazer. I raked the clothes across in the wardrobe, the metal of the coathangers scraping against the pole as they moved from one side to the other. Then I found the dress I was searching for, my black pinafore dress which I slipped over the top of a long-sleeved white top before pulling on some black tights to hide my legs. Due to the tights, I decided on a pair of small black booties with a high stiletto heel. 

Walking through to the kitchen, I was greeted by Sebastian and a cup of coffee that he handed to me. "Morgen," he smiled at me as I took the mug from him. 

With his small amount of German training he'd given to me on the plane, I knew this word meant 'morning'. I returned the smile, "How come you're up so early?" I had been the first one up every day so far, today though was varied.

"How come you're wearing a dress?" He asked me, returning my question with one of his own. 

My eyes left him, and I looked at my outfit before I glanced back at him, "Oh shit, I hadn't even noticed." My sarcasm was oozing out of every work. "I better go and get changed." He just watched me through narrowed eyes until I laughed. "You know I am kidding, right?"

He rolled his eyes as I put the mug to my mouth and took a mouthful of the nutty, caramelised smelling coffee. "So, is today finally going to be the day you manage to overtake me?" 

I blinked at him a few times before I stared straight at him, my hands returning the cup to the sideboard as I shook my head, not in answer to his question just a slight shake to myself. "It's not always about who can do things the fastest, I'm just biding my time." I had thought out an excuse; the truth was he was very good at defending, and I knew I needed to step it up a notch to get in front of him. When I worked with Lewis, I had the chance to study his every move before I drove alongside him, we worked back on home soil, and I'd even done some karting with him as teenagers. I was confident with him something I lacked with Sebastian. 

"Well, I'm off," he told me as he dumped his mug into the sink. He stood behind me as he spoke, "You can stay here and sulk if you like or head to the track so I can beat you again, süsse," he taunted me before he walked past me and out of the kitchen. 

"Sebastian!" I called him back as I followed him, but he was ignoring me, or he didn't hear as he left the front door of the apartment. I bit my bottom up as I gave up the chase and turned back to the kitchen to finish my coffee.

XOXOX

When I got into the car on the track, I heard Gianluca in my ear as soon as I put the helmet on. "So, how are we feeling today?"

I leaned back in the seat as I clipped the belt, securing me into the car. "If you are hoping for a miracle today you might wanna find someone else to do this." I wasn't optimistic about my performance today, and I hadn't even started. 

"What about a little incentive?" Gianluca asked as I pressed on the steering wheel starting the engine as a few guys whipped off the covers on the tyres since they had been heating them.