10.0 - Alive

MEGAN MOORE

Paola was quick at finding me some overalls to wear, once she had given them to me she pushed me in the direction of the changing rooms which was situated by the track. I stood by the bench and pulled out my driving clothes from my holdall before I stripped down and pulled on the thin leggings and thin grey cami grateful for the temporary relief from the heat. 

For a moment I just sat down in these clothes as I sprayed myself with deodorant and took some time for myself. "Are you ready, Megan?" I heard Paola shout as her heels approached. 

I tried to grab my jacket but she was entered and looked over at me, "Wow!" She walked over to me as stood behind me and checked out the large tattoo that covered my back. "This is amazing, why don't you show it off?"

Pulling my blazer over it I turned to face her, "It's unprofessional." These were the same words I had repeated to me when I got my first job. It might have been seven years ago but it stung and it stayed with me. Ever since that day, I covered up any tattoos that I had covered my body with when working. I worked in long sleeves and high jackets every single day to hide all my art. 

Paola looked at me with a puzzled look, "It's part of your identity."

"This," I waved a hand up and down my body. "This is my work identity. My tattoos are part of my personal life, I don't mix my work and personal life if I can help it."

She walked towards the door as I pulled my overalls on, only removing my blazer to pull on the overalls covering my back and arm tattoos. "No one is going to judge you here," she told me as she smiled at me. 

Zipping up the red overalls I turned back to her and returned the smile. "This is totally my choice," I reminded her. I sat on the bench and pulled on my driving shoes strapping them up as I took a deep breath. Jumping to my feet I smiled excitedly at Paola, "Now this is the best part of the day."

She didn't speak, she only laughed as she followed me out to the tarmac, waiting for us was two test F1 cars, Sebastian and two gentlemen. "This is where I leave you," Paola smiled as she nodded at me. "If you need anything you know where my office is," she shook my head before she headed off inside. 

I walked over to Sebastian who was talking to the two guys, they stopped as I approached and looked at me. Sebastian was wearing the same overalls as myself only in his size, the two other guys had headsets on and both held helmets. 

"Megan," Sebastian said my name as I stood next to him, my right hand reaching for the hair tie around my wrist only to find it wasn't there. I would have to find another way to distract myself from the nerves I felt right now, I put my hands behind my back and found myself holding my hands together before I slowly started to pinch the skin on each hand going from one hand to next. "This is Nico and Gianluca, they are going to be on radios whilst we're on track."

Nodding my head I managed a smile at them both before the taller male handed me a helmet, I took it from him and smiled. "Thanks," I wrapped my hands around it, giving myself something to hold now. "So, you're going to be talking to me while I drive?" I asked, a smile playing on my lips as I tried to act casual.

"Gianluca," he offered his hand and his name to me as we walked towards one of the cars. 

I cautiously shook his hand before I reached into the helmet and checked the padding, he handed me two wireless headphones which I took and placed in my ears before pulling the helmet over my head, my blonde hair trapped under it as I adjusted the visor then climbed into the awaiting car.