20.0 - Kater

Megan Moore

The whole day seemed to pass me by in a blur. I hated the feeling of being alone. Sebastian seemed to avoid me for the day, even at lunch I didn't see in the work canteen. I didn't sit in there anyway, I couldn't face it. I had to admit this was the first time I had ever felt any kind of remorse for binging the night before. 

With Alice and Matt, we all did it. Lewis just dealt with it. Sebastian had never seen me like that before. I didn't want our work relationship starting off this way but right now it was too late. I had already blown it, right?

He drove me home, we didn't speak much though, a few pleasantries were exchanged but nothing more. At the apartment, I headed off for a shower before putting on something a little more comfortable. Once I returned from my bedroom I was hit with beautiful smells, I followed the scent to the kitchen where I found Sebastian cooking. He hadn't even changed from the casual outfit that he had worn, instead, it looked like he had started working on cooking straight away. 

"What you cooking?" I asked him as I leaned against the kitchen sideboard furthest away from where he was working. "It smells lush."

He turned to look at me, "Just a little something I learnt from my mother when I was younger." His attention returned to the stove, "I hope you're hungry."

I licked my top lip slowly, "Yeah I am." Opening the fridge I pulled out a bottle of apple juice before I poured myself a glass of it and returned the bottle to the fridge. 

"How about you go and sit down, I'll bring it through when it is ready." He told me as he turned to look at me with a smile on his face. 

Holding my glass close to me, I leaned against the island in the middle of the kitchen and shrugged my shoulders. "It's okay. I'll keep you company in here," I placed my glass down on the sideboard in front of me. "If you don't mind."

"Do as you please," he said before he looked back at his cooking, stirring the spoon in the pot. "How are you feeling now?"

I frowned as I thought about what he was asking me, what did he mean? "I'm feeling okay," I spoke slowly, "Why?" I questioned him as I stood up straight crossing my arms over my chest defensively. 

He didn't say anything for a moment, he turned and looked at me. "You were a little," I watched as he tried to think of the word before he spoke, "Kater."

"What?" I questioned as he used a German word. "I was fine this morning." I didn't want to argue about it, I didn't want to get into it. 

"Hungover, kater, it means hungover." He explained as he finally got the word he'd been looking for. 

I picked up my glass and looked down at it, "I can assure you, I was not hungover." I told him before looking up at him, "I was just a little tired." There was a small lie in that sentence but I didn't need him knowing the truth. I can handle a hangover, I can handle myself. 

"Look," he turned his whole body to face me and stood on the opposite side of the island and looked at me. "If we're going to be working together, I need to know I can trust you."

"You can trust me," I furrowed my brows in confusion. I didn't quite understand why he thought he couldn't trust me, I knew exactly what I was doing. 

He raised his eyebrows as he took a deep breath, "When we're at work I need to be able to trust that you are fit to get into that car, I need to know that you have my back."

Putting the glass on the sideboard, I laughed coldly. "I would never-"

"Megan," he interrupted me. "If you need some help."

I rolled my eyes, "Look," I held my hand up as I spoke to him. "I like to have a drink, don't all people my age?" I didn't want him to answer the question but he did say something anyway. 

"There is having a drink, a social drink then there is what you do." He shook his head at me. "Please, Megan, I need to know I can trust you."

"I can assure you," I stood up straight and crossed my arms over my chest and sighed. "I might like to have a drink in the evenings but I would never put mine or anyone's life in danger." I put my glass into the sink before I looked back at Sebastian, "You know, I'm not feeling so hungry anymore."

Leaving the kitchen, I let out a long sigh as I walked through and towards my bedroom. "Megs, wait." Sebastian's German accent was heavy, his voice full of regret as I turned and looked at him as I leaned against the wall and stared back at him. Crossing my arms over my chest in a defensive way I waited for him to speak, silence filling the air before he took a deep breath and spoke. "I'm just saying-"

"I don't want to talk about it anymore," I informed him. "If you don't have anything else to say, then I'm going to bed."

He looked at me, I couldn't quite read his expression but when he didn't reply I knew there was nothing more to say this evening. I shook my head before going into the bedroom, closing the door behind me. I laid on my bed with a heavy heart, right now I wanted nothing more than to go home.