25.0 - France

It turned out that myself and Karyn had much more in common than I first thought. Even better she was not like my assumptions in my head. I assumed she would be a little stuck up, a little too loyal to Sebastian, instead she was friendly, sweet and funny. We didn't even realise the time we were laughing so much, that we found Sebastian catching up with us. 

"It seems you two are having a little too much fun," Sebastian pointed out as he came over to our table. He kissed Karyn on the cheek before he looked at me and smiled. "Nice to see you again, Megan."

I returned his smile, swallowing hard as I stared at him. There was something about the way he looked at me which made me feel a little pang of something. I just wanted to smile at him all the time, I wanted him to approach me and kiss me on the cheek like an old friend or more. The way he leaned his hand on the back of Karyn's chair and looked at her as they spoke in front of me made me a little jealous. We'd spent some time together and nothing we said seemed to flow like his conversation with Karyn did. 

Sipping my coffee, I listened as they spoke, Sebastian seemed to switch to German every now and again before they both looked at me. "I think we should get you to the hotel now," Karyn announced as she smiled at me. 

"Sure," I spoke quietly as I pushed my mug away from myself. 

Karyn got to her feet first, I followed her actions. I watched as Sebastian walked beside her, keeping their conversation flowing. I trailed behind, my right hand holding my suitcase, wheeling it behind me, my left hand balled into a fist as I pressed my nails into my palms. 

In the vehicle, I sat in the back behind Karyn who was driving. I checked my phone as they continued to talk, they were chatting about work and an upcoming interview, something I wasn't too bothered about. I sent a text to Lewis asking him where he was staying before checking my social media accounts. 

"Don't you think, Megan?" I heard a question being fired my way from Sebastian. 

I looked up and saw him staring at me, his blue eyes were so intense as he waited for me to answer. "Sorry," I said slowly as I locked my phone. "What were you saying?"

He kept his face straight as he looked at me, "I was saying we should go out tonight for a bite to eat."

My mouth opened a little as I looked at him, "Er, yeah." I didn't know what I had signed myself up for when I agreed. "Where to?"

A chuckle left his lips, "Well, some of the guys were talking about going out somewhere local. Karyn has to head back home to her children," he shrugged his shoulders as he smiled in my direction. "I don't want you sitting all alone in a hotel room."

I nodded my head slightly, "Okay."

XOXOX

The evening came around quickly, Sebastian came to my hotel door like he said he would. As we left the hotel, we walked side by side to the restaurant we were headed to. "So, you and Karyn?" He tried to shift the conversation towards me and Karyn's time spent talking. "You two seemed like you were getting along well."

"She's lovely," I told him my thoughts on her. "She said she'd been working for you for a few years now, I cannot believe that she continued to do all this travelling with her own children."

He laughed, "Zac and Gracie love all the travelling. It's her husband who isn't so sure."

"How old are her children?" I asked, I might have spoken to Karyn earlier but we didn't speak much about her kids. 

"Zak is three and Gracie, she's only a year. Karyn came back to work when she was six months old, it's easy for Karyn because she gets to bring her family with her." Sebastian told me about her assistant. 

My mind wandered away from Karyn, I wondered who was going to be at the restaurant tonight. I didn't know who would be there, Sebastian had not given me any kind of clue about who might be attending. The other worries in my mind were myself, I didn't want to binge tonight. Sure, if I had a drink it was my own choice, I just found that sometimes there was no way of stopping myself. I also didn't need Lewis to be there, I didn't want Sebastian seeing our friendship. Even though I knew I heavily relied on Lewis as he did me sometimes, I didn't need the world to see it, I didn't need Sebastian to see it. Our friendship had already been mistaken for something more at the airport, I didn't need that from the people I worked with. If there was any chance Ferrari thought I was in a relationship with Lewis, then they might have thought I could pass information to Mercedes. 

A few moments passed before we were at the restaurant, my eyes scanned through the windows hoping to catch a glimpse of whoever was there but to no avail. We entered, Sebastian leading me to the table. I looked up, there, sitting around the table was a few familiar faces. 

"Guys," Sebastian spoke as he sat next to Charles. "You all know Megan, right?"

Looking from each person, I smiled before I sat in the only spare seat, opposite Sebastian. Lewis was to the left of me, Max Verstappen to the right. Charles was opposite Max and the last person who sat at the table was Kimi Raikkonen. I heard a few mumbles of yes before Kimi spoke up detracting the attention from me, which I was glad of. "Can we order some drinks now?"

All the guys laugh at the question, I smiled too, hoping to fit in with whatever they had planned. 

My attention went to the drinks menu as the guys all started to chat, I stared down at it almost not looking at it before I felt a hand on my left arm. Jumping a little, my eyes widened as I looked up to the left where Lewis was staring at me. "Sorry?" I muttered as I leaned back on my chair. 

"What do you want to drink?" He asked me before he looked away from me, I followed his eyes and found a waitress standing there waiting for me. 

I opened my mouth a little in disbelief, I felt like an idiot. "Diet coke please," my voice was small as I gave her my drinks order before the blonde waitress raised her eyebrows, jotted it down then walked away. 

"Are you okay?" Sebastian asked quietly across the table to me. 

Nodding I smiled, "Yeah. Sorry, I just," I shrugged my shoulders before I gave him a real smile. "Must be a little jet-lagged."

Sebastian nodded before he returned to his conversation that he must have been having with Charles and Max as he jumped straight in. I bit my bottom lip before I looked back at Lewis, he was now chatting to Kimi who was more chatty than I had ever seen him. 

I knew he had only brought me here to be polite and keep me from being alone. I was grateful that I was not alone in the hotel room but I was not grateful that I was here being ignored. Picking up a food menu, I place it down in front of me, my mind taking in all the information that was before me, I didn't know if I was actually hungry or not but I already knew what I was going to order. 

When the waitress returns, she places the drinks down before taking food orders. After I ordered, I turned to Lewis and started a conversation with him, hoping to not be ignored any more. "How is training going?" I didn't want to ask questions that were too personal, not in front of anyone else. 

"Brilliantly," he tells me. "How are Ferrari treating you?"

Sebastian hears these questions, interjecting to answer himself. "I would say we are treating her very well. Flying her out to Italy for test driving, offering some chances that she didn't get in Mercedes." 

I rolled my eyes, as so the jibes begin.