5.0 - Lewis

MEGAN MOORE

When Lewis arrived at my house, Alice and Matt were already here. Since we'd been friends when working together the three of them were already accustomed to each other, yet I think they knew something was up with me having all three of them in the same room. As Alice helped me carry the food through to the dining room, Matt and Lewis headed on through ahead of us. 

"What's this about?" Alice asked me as we walked backwards and forwards with various plates. 

I smiled, "I want to tell you all together."

"Come on," she chuckled, her laugh was so infectious, like a small child. "I am your best friend, you have to tell me before you tell those two idiots." She then widened her eyes, "Oh my God, are you pregnant?!" Her voice was very loud.

"You're pregnant?" Lewis and Matt both asked, their voices equally as shocked as we sat down in the dining room.

I rolled my eyes as I grabbed a bottle of wine and uncorked it, "Absolutely not! You know that me and children do not mix."

Lewis laughed, "I dunno. You were pretty good with my niece that time you helped me out when I was babysitting."

"Yeah," Matt piped up, "You helped me out when my sister was in the hospital and I was lumbered with Katie."

"So I help out," I shrugged my shoulders, "Doesn't mean I would be any good if it was my own child." I shook my head, "Anyway, we're getting off-topic, I am not pregnant." I thought I would clarify their thoughts, "No way, not now, not ever."

Alice looked over in my direction, her eyebrows were raised. "You seem pretty sure about that," she teased me playfully. 

I poured a glass of wine and took a large swig, "Now we've all seen me drinking, can we please move on." I smiled as I offered the food to my friends with my hands. I watched as they took what they wanted and placed it on their plates, I couldn't help but smile but feel sad at the same time. 

I can safely say I didn't do this enough, I knew I was going to miss this when I was away. All of my friends had different qualities and sure, I had more friends but these three were the closest people to me that I could have around for dinner, if I could have invited my twin sister, Natalie along I would have. 

"Aren't you eating?" Matt asked me as he looked up and saw that I hadn't put a single thing on my plate yet. 

My attention was on him now, "I will." I picked up my glass of wine and took a few mouthfuls before placing my glass down and helping myself to some food. 

"Come on then," Alice asked when we were all eating. "What's the big news?"

All eyes were on me now, I looked up and saw three sets of eyes on me, smiles on everyone's faces. I wished it could be much easier than this, I didn't want to go without having someone I knew out there with me, someone to help me blow off steam at the end of the day. 

I placed my knife and fork down before clasping my hands together over my food, my elbows resting on the table. "I'm going away for a while," I started.

"You've turned to the dark side like Natalie," Matt laughed his joke made with the best intentions but couldn't have been further from the truth. "So who did you off?"

"I'm serious," I told him. "Friday morning I am on a flight at 9, I'm going to Italy for four weeks for training."

"What?" The three of them said all at once. I didn't know which one was more shocked, Alice looked disappointed, saddened at my departure. Matt looked confused and Lewis, he just looked 

I sighed as I picked up my knife and fork again and looked down at my plate avoiding their gazes. "It'll be like a working holiday," I said as I pushed some food onto my fork. "It'll be fun."

"You'll hate it," Lewis told me, his voice sounding like your father's when they tell you off. "You'll get out there and hate every second of it, by the end of the first day you'll be ringing one of us complaining."

"Can I come with you?" Alice asked as I looked up at her and smiled. "Please don't make me stay here, it's due to rain next week."

I laughed, "You know I would love for you to come along. The real reason we are going is so we can concentrate, so there are no distractions."

"We?" Matt asked with a curious look, a slight smirk on his lips. 

Realising they were going to take it the wrong way, especially my two normal lived friends I tried to ignore his question. "So, can either of your two pop by every few days and sort out my post?" My question was directed at Alice and Matt even though I was only looking at Alice.

"Who are you going with, Megan?" Alice asked me, avoiding my question. 

Lewis laughed getting everyone's attention on him, "I can already tell you who she's jetting off with."

"Okay, thank you," I groaned. "Yes, I am off to Italy to work with my new driving partner, Sebastian Vettel."

"Shut the front door!" Alice was loud and excited as she looked at me, "Why didn't you tell me you were working with him? The Sebastian Vettel, you are so lucky."

It wasn't her who was going to have to learn German, of course, she thought I was lucky. It had been the same when I first started working with Lewis though, Alice thought I was very lucky, I, on the other hand, thought nothing of it. Lewis was different though, he made me feel at ease straight away, it was towards the end of our time together things got strained and difficult, yet after I left we remained friends and now I will admit we were quite close. 

XOXOX

After Matt and Alice left, Lewis stayed with me. We avoided the topic of my new job and all work-related things as we laid at opposite ends of my corner sofa and watched whatever junk was on the screen. 

"I've been invited to a wedding at the end of the month," he told me. "I was going to ask if you wanted to come along as my plus one."

I glanced over at him but he was still staring at the telly, I looked back at it and spoke, "I definitely can't, I'll be driving around in Italy."

"Well, I know that now," he laughed.

"Besides," I sighed, "We wouldn't want people getting the wrong idea again, would we?"

Lewis sat up getting my attention, I looked over at him as he looked at me. "I'm surprised that Ferrari gave you the job considering the fact you worked with me previously," he told me.

"No work," I reminded him as I closed my eyes and crossed my arms over my chest. "I just want us to hang out and be as we used to be."

His breathing was light, "Do you need me to do anything for you whilst you are away?"

I opened my eyes and looked up at him, "If you really want to do something for me, I might have something." I smiled at him knowing that asking this of him was a long shot, "Can you visit my sister?"

He rubbed his hands through what little hair he had, "You know I would, but..." He trailed off as he spoke, I knew he was trying not to hurt my feelings. 

Sitting up I smiled at him, "I asked knowing it was a long shot. If I don't ask then I don't know."

"You know I would if I could," he told me with a sad look on his face. 

"Lewis," I threw a pillow at him as I laughed. "Give over," I winked at him as I tried to bring the mood away from the sad one it was already in. "You know I have the rest of the week off until I jet off on Friday. Wanna go get wasted?"

He rolled his eyes at my question, "Are you 25 or 16?" He asked me with a shake of his head before he grinned, "So, are we getting changed first?"