14.0 - Vincenzo

MEGAN MOORE

Sebastian left me at the apartment before heading to the airport to board his plane. I rang Vincenzo, who told me that I couldn't visit him; instead, he was going to come to me. As I spoke to him, he told me he was booking the plane tickets for tomorrow.

As the lonely night drew in, I continued to drink the bottle of wine I had brought back from the restaurant. I called Lewis; I put the phone on to loudspeaker as I listened to it ring. "Hello?" He answered as I sat on the sofa with my legs crossed. 

"Hi, Lew." 

"What's wrong, Megan?" He asked me as I leaned back into the cushioned back. 

I sighed as I pulled my knees up and held them, "Am I difficult?"

"What on earth are you talking about? Are you drunk? What's happened?" He asked so many questions that my brain didn't know where to start. I just sat there and listened as I dropped my knees back down and let out a groan. 

"I just don't think I am suited to work at Ferrari," I confided in him. At that moment in time, I needed a friend, I wanted to speak to Lewis honestly about how I felt, but I knew I couldn't tell him too much. 

He laughed, "You're easily adaptable. You just need some more time to settle in."

"You're biased," I told him as I picked up my wine glass. "Look, I've been threatened with losing my job today. That shit has never happened before."

"Shut up! What about the time you nearly ran Toto over?" He reminded me of a time I would rather not think about. 

I laughed at the memory, I had been driving Lewis' car around the track trying to loosen the car up ready for him but Toto Wolff, our boss, stepped out in front of me as I went down the straight. Slamming the brakes on I tried to stop, but Lewis ended up pulling Toto out of the way just in time as the car didn't stop before I got to where he was standing. I'd never been dragged out off the track so quickly before Toto almost fired me, only Lewis managed to stop him. For the next two weeks, Toto was very cold with me. 

"That was not my fault," I managed to get out between giggles. Looking back on it, it was funny, at the time though, my job was genuinely at risk, and I was scared. "But, honestly," I stopped laughing before I spoke again. "What am I going to do?"

"Do you want me to call Seb?" 

"No, no!" I panicked as I looked down at my phone. I knew he couldn't see me, but I thought looking at my phone would make him take me more seriously. "I can handle it."

"Are you sure?" Lewis asked me, his voice was one of a concerned friend. 

Nodding my head to myself, I looked at the glass of wine in my hand, "Yeah. I'm just being overly dramatic." I smiled to myself as I tried to convince myself in my head that I was just overthinking things. "How're things in England?"

"Rainy," he told me. "It had rained for the past two days straight, so I have been stuck at home doing nothing. I was going to get on the track, but Toto has called off training. Some parts of our track have flooded." He sounded really disappointed about it; I knew he loved being in the car, being on the track and driving. "Also, I went on a date last night."