28.0 - Explaining

When Sebastian had told me I would have explaining to do, he wasn't wrong. Arriving at the track in the morning, I found myself being called into Maurizio's office. The man in charge looked irate as he pushed a tablet towards me. 

"I knew hiring you was going to be interesting," he spoke with a small shake of his head. "But I didn't expect that I would have to deal with the fall out of incidents like this." I watched as he reached forward and pressed the tablet which started to play a video. 

All I wanted to do was groan loudly, instead, I stood straight with my eyes on the screen. They say it's difficult to watch yourself on video and I can confirm right now that this is the case. I didn't realise how ugly the whole situation was until just now. 

From the distance the video was shot at, you couldn't hear much. It looked as if Lewis was flirting with me for a moment, my body moving away from him before I moved closer to him. Then after a few seconds, I just threw my drink into his face. I wanted to turn the video off but there seemed to be a lot more to it. After I ignored both Lewis and Sebastian, leaving the bar, the video continued to play. Sebastian headed towards Lewis, they seemed to exchange words as the German pointed at Lewis. As the cameraman zoomed in, Lewis smirked at Sebastian before my driver walked away, the camera following him as he left the bar about two minutes after me. 

The video came to an end, I looked up at my boss who had his arms folded over his chest. "So, could you possibly explain to me what happened last night?"

My hands were behind my back as I felt them getting clammy. "Is it necessary for you to know what happened?"

"When I have to clean up the mess with the press, then yes it is."

There was a knock on the door, before the door opened and in strolled Sebastian. "Let me explain what happened," he quickly spoke before anyone else could say a word. 

I bit my lip as I looked at him. He looked a little flustered and red but it didn't stop him standing in front of me and talking to Maurizio. Stepping back, I took a deep breath as I put my arms by my sides and waited to hear what was going to happen next.

"Very well."

Sebastian looked back at me for a second, he gave me a small nod before he looked forward again. "Megan and Lewis just had a disagreement about something."

"I can see that," Maurizio spoke before he leaned back. "Do you want to elaborate?"

Although Sebastian didn't know the whole truth, I was sure he knew more than he told me. I didn't know what he was going to say, all I knew was it was enough for me to have my job on the line right now. 

Maurizio stood up as Sebastian stepped to the side of me, so we were both in front of him. "I cannot make you tell me, I just think it would be easier if I knew. There will be fallout from the media, it's not something that can be ignored." He looked between the two of us, "I am glad to see you two working together rather than against each other. I don't want to hear anymore regarding this incident. This weekend I want you two to stay away from Hamilton and the press. Dismissed."

We left the office together, my hands shaking as I put them into the pockets of my work jumpsuit. "Why didn't you tell him?" I asked Sebastian quietly as we walked together from the building and towards the garage. 

He looked over at me as I crossed my arms over my chest. "Some things are easier to manage between us. I don't think Lewis is going to be talking about it anytime soon."

I kept my head down as I thought about Lewis. I hated this situation, we had agreed once we stopped working together that we'd keep work and our friendship separate. Just to top it all off, he'd been telling about how happy he was with the new woman in his life. Now I didn't know what that meant anymore, why would he risk that relationship just to annoy someone else?

"Thanks," I mumbled. I guess talking about Lewis was easier than talking about the other thing. 

Sebastian was silent as we walked together, a few seconds passed before we were joined by Karyn. "Alright kids," she walked between us keeping up with our speed. "I've been briefed on last night," I looked at her before I looked forward concentrating on where I was walking shaking my head to myself. "We are not talking to the press today, Seb. If you get on the podium there will obviously be an interview. There you will have to use your discretion to answer any questions on said incident."

I knew she was talking to Sebastian only now, I was not required here. Walking a little quicker, I got to the garage before grabbing my helmet from the bench and going over to Sebastian's car. I was required to get out there and test the car, check the track and make sure all was good to go. 

Sorting out my earphones, I pushed them into my ears before flicking my hair back and putting the helmet over my head. I climbed into the car before I heard a voice in my ear. "Can you hear me, Megan? This is Thierry," he announced. 

"I can hear you," I confirmed as I took the steering wheel from a technician. 

Putting the steering wheel in place, Thierry spoke again, his French accent obvious. "I'll be on the headset with you, any problems you have feedback to me."

My fingers glided across the buttons on the wheel before I moved the car out of the garage. Being in this vehicle helped my mind relax, helped me disappear from reality for a few brief moments. I knew when I got out of the car, I would still have to deal with the situation I had gotten myself into with the two men in my life. 

I listened as Thierry spoke as I slowly went around the track. His words were not enough to keep me focused on him. My mind wandered to the night before, thinking of everything I could have done or said differently in the bar. Then my mind zoomed to the evening in the hotel, about how nervous I felt when I was alone with Sebastian. My fingers moved over the wheel as I sped up taking the straight at breakneck speed before coming to a sharp corner, my feet and hands moving expertly in time with each other. Sure I could see and react to what was happening in front of me but I wasn't here in spirit. 

A heavy sigh escaped my lips as I took another corner, my hands gripping the wheel tightly as I gulped. It should have never of happened, I never spent any time with Lewis or Alonso in my hotel room in that capacity. Knowing that I had done that with Sebastian made me unsure of how that would work for work now. 

"Megan," I heard Thierry's French accent in my mind and my ears. 

I crossed the line and started the track again, "Yeah?"

"How's the track? Any problems out there? How is the car?" 

I hated all the questions mainly because I hadn't really paid much attention to anything. If there was a major problem I would have felt it but it was all good as far as I was aware. "No problems to report, one more time around and I'm coming in." I focused on putting as much speed into the car as possible as I went around the corner, my hands shaking as I smirked to myself. 

"Mark's coming out in Charles' car," Thierry told me as I continued on. 

There was no reason for me to reply, I looked ahead as I breathed heavily as I tried to get Sebastian's face out of my head. He had the cutest smile and the most breathtaking eyes, yet I had blown it, again.

"Megan!" I heard my voice being shouted in my ears. 

I blinked before straightening the vehicle. "I'm good," the words left my mouth quietly as I drove round to the pit lane and brought the car back in. 

Climbing out of the car, I handed the steering wheel to a technician before I straightened myself up. "What happened out there?" I heard a voice asking me.

Slipping my helmet from my head, I shook my hair before I found the eyes of the French man who had been talking to me on the headphones. "Nothing," I raised my eyebrows. "The car is good, the track is great."

Thierry watched me with a confused look on his face. "I was watching you out there," he reminded me.

I managed a smile before I walked away from him. There was enough going on in my own head without having to explain to anyone else. They got the information they needed, there was nothing more to say on the matter.