22.0 - England

Megan Moore

When my plane touched down in England, I was relieved to be home. I had one week to do what  I needed to do before I was jetting off to Australia. Waiting for me at the gates was Lewis, a grin on his face and a board with my name on. I knew it was him, even though he had his massive sunglasses hiding most of his face and a red Ferrari hat on, deflecting away with his true identity to the crowds. 

"Oh my God!" I called as I rushed over to him letting my bag fall to the ground before I wrapped my arms around him and held him close to me. 

I closed my eyes as I felt his hands wrap around my body. "I take it, you missed me?" He asked with a slight chuckle in his voice. "Happy to be home then?"

I didn't let him go as I leant my head on his shoulder and sighed, "Like you wouldn't believe." 

He pulled away first and looked at me, even through his sunglasses I could feel his eyes on me. "Come on then, dollface," he stepped towards my case and pulled it from the floor before carrying it effortlessly. "We need to get out of here before-"

His words were cut off by a woman who let out a small scream as she looked at him. "Oh, my God!" She yelled, "Lewis Hamilton!"

Just like that, I was pushed aside as fans surrounded him, some for an autograph, some for a quick picture, others just because he was a celebrity. Rolling my eyes, I stood with my arms crossed over my chest as I waited. I knew this was precisely the reason why he wore his sunglasses inside. As I waited, I watched as photos were snapped away, even a few people taking my picture. 

"Lew?" I got his attention after ten minutes, even though he still signing items for his fans. 

He looked over at me and smiled, his sunglasses were long discarded as he took his time making sure everyone who was supporting him had his full attention. "Give me a moment, Megan."

Pulling my phone from my pocket, I checked it as I walked away from him. I sat on the nearest bench as I stared down at my mobile, there was a couple of messages from Alice and nothing of any interest on social media. My eyes looked up just as I saw a bright flash, there standing in front of me was a photographer with a huge camera. 

Getting up, I ignored the man in front of me before I tapped Lewis on the shoulder, "I have to go." I told him as I looked back at the person who continued to take photos. 

"I'm coming," he assured me before he looked back at the fans. "Nice to meet you all," he turned away from them as he brought my case along with him. He caught up with me quickly, making sure to walk silently along my side as we quickly made our way out of the airport. 

Once we were in the privacy of his car, I laughed. "Maybe next time I can get someone else to pick me up," I told him with a wiggle of my eyebrows. 

"Give over," he shook his head as he threw his sunglasses in the cupholder then started the car. "Next time we step off a plane, it will be when we touch down in Australia. I can't imagine spending an eleven-hour flight with anyone else."

"Brilliant," I teased. "Eleven hours with just you for company, I am going to have to invest in some noise-cancelling headphones."

Lewis pulled the car out of the parking space effortlessly before he started the drive back to my home, "So, how was Sebastian? Did you have a great time?"

Leaning back in the chair, I yawned before I answered. "Was that a hint of jealousy I detected there, Lew?" I couldn't help but tease him. I had gotten to know him so well of the years we'd been friends, I knew when he was asking, he was asking because he was a good friend yet it was so easy to wind him up. 

"Shut up!" He groaned as he stared at the road, the evening was starting to set up, the streets lights were turning on, and the darkness was falling. "I'm just asking-"

"I'm messing with you," I laughed as I nudged his left arm playfully. "If you must know, it's been stressful. He's different from you."

Lewis chuckled, "Well done, Megan. Of course, we're different. Did you honestly think it was going to be easy?" He glanced at me for a moment as I crossed my arms over my chest as I wrinkled my nose in disgust. Lewis was always right, and that bugged me immensely. "It's been easy for you working with Fernando and then me. We worked so well together because you knew what I wanted from you. All you have to do is find out what he wants, how you can actually help him."

"Do you trust me?" I asked him as I looked out the passenger side window. 

"There are only a few people in this world I do trust, I can honestly say you are one of them." I sighed as I turned back to him and made eye contact with him for a second before he returned his concentrate on driving. Knowing he trusted me only brought me a small amount of comfort. "What's going on?"

"I don't know. I guess I let myself get out of control a little when I go out drinking," I admitted unsurely to myself. "I didn't think I had a problem." Lewis didn't reply, his silence gave me an answer I didn't want. "Thanks, Lew." I shook my head as I realised I didn't have much to say in reply to his silence. 

Lewis reached over and placed his hand on my leg just above my knee. "Look, you just like to have a good time when you go out. Sometimes you have to just remember to rein it in on a school night."

I reached for his hand and removed it from my thigh, "Well, thank you for your honesty." I narrowed my eyes as I laid my hands on my lap, "What the hell am I supposed to do when I am working all the time? I need a release, not only am I working twenty-four-seven, I'm stuck with him at work then got you giving me grief when I get home."

"You bloody asked," he reminded me. "I'm just making a suggestion, you don't need to listen to me." Lewis winked at me as he side-eyed me, "Do you want me to have a word with Seb? I can tell him how you are feeling."

"Absolutely not!" I snapped as I put my hands on the dash in front of me and looked in Lewis' direction. "I can handle it."

"Quit complaining then," Lewis teased as he smirked. "Now you're home, why don't we go and get something to eat?"