23.0 - A Long Week

Megan Moore

To say Lewis was good company was an understatement. He literally was my best friend and knew exactly what I was thinking even before I spoke about it. So, after I had spent two days with him, I was beginning to get a bit annoyed with how much like me he was. 

"Okay," I smiled as I flopped on my sofa after handing him his coffee. "Why don't we hang out tonight?" I asked as I closed my eyes, a smile crossing my lips. "I really wanna have a nap, catch up on some bills and then me, you and the other two can go out for drinkies tonight?"

Lewis laughed as he put his mug on the coffee table, "If you just wanted rid of me, you only had to say."

I rolled my eyes, "Give over." I eyeballed him as I smiled, "I love spending as much time with you as possible but I just wanna do my own thing for a bit. You know as well as I do that we only have a few more days before we fuck off to work, you might have been here for the past month sorting your shit out, but I've been in Italy in case you forgot."

"Alright then, Miss grumpy pants," he laughed as he leaned back on my sofa and looked over at me. "You are such hard work, I stay here because we wanna hang out then you wanna be alone. Let me remind you it was you asking me to stay."

Groaning, I cracked my knuckles in front of me, "You make it sound like we are having some kind of sordid affair."

"You wish we were," he joked before I chucked a cushion in his direction which he expertly caught like it was nothing. "Oh come on, Megan, we both know they you have always had the hots for me."

"Oh please," I drew out the last word as I glanced over at him. "We both know that if I wanted to, I have had plenty of opportunities to make this happen," I moved my fingers between us before shaking my head. "So, when are you introducing me to this new woman of yours?"

Lewis sighed, "It's only been a few dates. I don't think now is the right time to introduce her to anyone."

Rolling my eyes at him, I stood back up as I took my hoody off then chucked it down in my seat. "Do you really like her?" I asked him as I got a little serious as I walked towards the large bay window before sitting in it and looking in his direction. 

"She's a special girl," he told me as his demeanour changed. He seemed to go a little dreamy-eyed and floaty as he spoke about her. "Honestly, I think you two would get on great. She's a little like you, Megan."

"Brilliant," I tried to joke. "She's a little bit of an alcoholic and a crazy bitch."

Lewis threw me a glare, "Give over. You just have a few issues you need to deal with."

Tucking my hair behind my ears, I leaned against the glass, pushing the net curtain against it, the cold sending a welcome chill through my body. "My issues are things I can't do anything about," my words a stark reminder of the truth that I had avoided by being in Italy. "I guess I better start dealing with those tomorrow."

"It's always tomorrow with you," Lewis pointed out an alarming fact about me. "You need to deal with things today, deal with it as soon as possible."

"Oh come on," I shook my head. "Give over," I sighed as I pulled my knees close to my chest and wrapped my arms around my legs. "Are you going to leave at some point today or what?" I asked him as I put my chin on my knees, "I need to shower and get ready for our night out."

XOXOX

The night came and went, I ended up meeting up with Alice only. Matt had other plans, and Lewis bailed last minute, not that it mattered. Once I was out and dancing, drinking and having a moderately good time, I found that their absence didn't mean anything. 

The new day came and went in a blur, I managed to contact the prison where Natalie was being held, but she didn't want to see me saving me a trip to see her before I went away. I missed her so much, but right now, I had my career to focus on. 

 Calling my mother, she told me she was seeing a new man and was spending the day with him. She did make plans to see me the next day, but that felt like a million miles away with the hangover I was currently nursing. 

Speaking to Matt wasn't much help either. He'd somehow managed to find himself a girlfriend in the time I was away, which meant he could no longer hang out with Alice and me, he wanted to hang out with his new girlfriend as much as possible. It wasn't that I was jealous, it just annoyed me that he seemed to think his relationship was more important than talking or spending time with his friends. Alice and I would always be there, this girl might not be in a few weeks time. 

This left me with the obvious, catching up on paying my bills and leaving me alone with my thoughts. As soon as I was done paying my bills, I sat in the window, watching the world pass me by as I finally came to from the hangover. 

I needed to seriously think about things. I still had the relocation issue hanging over my head, Paola said I had time to think about it, but I didn't have that much time when I owned my own home. If I wanted to move to Italy, I had so much I needed to before I went there. Maybe I could stay here in England and commute when required. I just didn't see what I really needed to stay here for right now. Sure, I had friends and family, but they were all getting on with their own lives. Would they change their own plans for me? Probably not, I knew from experience that if someone wanted something they didn't let other people stand in their way. I knew that I wanted to progress my career as far as possible, this might be the best thing that could happen to me. 

The last two days were spent in my home, I did some washing and packed my bag ready to return to work. I had to admit I was unprepared mentally, things were not the same as they were before. This made me nervous and uneasy.