17.0 - Little Talks

I have to admit my mind was on other things as I drove around the track. Sebastian wasn't giving me much to work with, he managed to be the better driver on the track, not that I was close to competing with him. Gianluca kept trying to talk to me over the headphones, I could hear him offering advice on my driving, but I wasn't listening. 

All I kept thinking about was what people would say if I told them I was going to move to Italy? How would I even think about breaking that news to my mother? It wasn't my mother I was the most worried about though if I did this, I would have to tell Natalie. She might have been incarcerated right now, but it didn't mean that I loved her any less. The truth was, with me in a different country, I wouldn't be able to help the people who meant the most to me. 

As I approached Sebastian's car, my mind was filled with my sister's voice. I already knew she'd be so furious with me, I could feel it. Edging forward I tried for the inside on the corner, "Not today," I was muttering to myself even though I knew Gianluca could hear me. I was not speaking for him, my words for were for me and the demons in my mind. I wanted to do this, just to prove to myself that I could do this.

Sebastian blocked me as we came out on the straight. I pressed on the gas pedal as I went to overtake him on the long straight, the speed rushing through the car, pushing me back against my seat. "Fucking move!" My teeth were gritted as I drove my car forward before getting level with him. "Come on," I urged myself as I held the wheel tightly before overtaking his vehicle. "Oh my God," I whispered to myself as I pulled in front of him. It was my turn to be on the offensive now. 

The rush I felt was incredible, if I could do this every day I would love it. I had never dreamed of doing anything else but driving for a living. I wouldn't want to miss out on that chance, not ever. I couldn't believe that I had done it, it might have taken me nearly two weeks but I could say now that I had overtaken him.

"Amazing," Gianluca's voice filled my ears as he spoke to me. "Keep it up!" I grinned widely under my helmet as I glanced in the mirror. Sebastian was not close to me, in fact, it looked like he was a little slower. "I think you've surprised him," Gianluca told me. "Maybe you should take breaks more often."

Hearing praise was something I craved. I hated hearing how poor my performance was and today was the first time since being in Italy that I felt good about what I was doing. I smiled as I defended my place in front of him. It might not have been long before he overtook me, but I already had that confidence boost which helped me continue to pass him letting us have a real battle today. 

XOXOX

At the end of the working day, I drove straight back to the apartment, changing my routine. I quickly showered before retreating to the safety of my room. There I decided to ring Alice, maybe she could help me with my dilemma. I listened as the phone rang before she answered, "Hello?" It had been so long since I had heard her voice and to be honest it was a relief to hear her.

"Hello," I said as I laid on my bed on my stomach in a pair of shorts and a tank top, my feet were bare and swinging in the air as I put the call on loudspeaker. "I need your help." If anyone could give me some advice that was unbiased it would be Alice.

I heard her laugh, "I must warn you, today I have given some bad advice. I'm probably not the best person to help you right now."

"Please," I begged as I laid my head on the bed. "I wanted to ask you first, before anyone else."

"Before Natalie?" She asked, her voice sounded surprised. She knew my sister and me too well, it was Natalie and me against the world, most of the time. 

Sighing I let out a groan, "I already knew what she will say to me. You will help me think more clearly."

"Wait," she giggled. "You think I am the best person to help you?"

"Well," I rolled my eyes. "I can't ask my Mum or Natalie right now. Matt won't understand and Lewis, well he isn't the right person to ask." I listed off the reasons why I couldn't talk to my other friends right now. 

"Ahh," Alice let out a noise, "I understand now. This is about work, isn't it?"

Nodding my head, I closed my eyes, "Yeah."

"Don't tell me what it is," she told me. "Me and you have been friends for a long time, forever." 

"Your point?" I asked as I heard a noise before there was a knock on my bedroom door, "One minute, Alice." I looked at the door, "Yeah?" I called loudly. 

The door opened, and Sebastian popped his head into the room, "Do you want to go out and get some supper?" He offered me a smile as he looked at me. 

"Erm," I stumbled as I got off the bed, dropping my phone on the floor before straightening myself up and looking at Sebastian, brushing myself off. "Yeah," I managed a weak smile back, annoyed at my moment of ungracefulness. "Give me a few minutes, I'll get changed."

I noticed him look me up and down before settling his eyes back on mine, "You don't have to. It's pretty warm out there." 

Nodding my head, I stared at him. I didn't know how to react to him looking me up and down like that, what did it mean? Was he just looking at my outfit? Was he checking me out? 

"I'm still here," Alice's voice reminded me she was still on the phone. 

Quickly I reached for my phone and picked it up when I looked back up Sebastian was gone. "Sorry," I mumbled as I sat back on the edge of my bed. 

"Might that have something to do with why you wanted to talk to me?" Alice asked me. 

Raising my eyebrows, I looked down at my phone even though she couldn't see me, "What does that mean?" I was confused by her question.

"I'm just asking if your problem has anything to do with your new driver?" She asked in a suggestive voice. "I'm pretty sure you and Alonso never went out for supper."

Standing up, I sighed, "And what about Lewis? I used to go out to eat with him all the time." I reminded her of the friendship I had with my previous employer. 

"And I always thought there was something going on there, not that you have ever let on."

"Wow," I laughed, "When I get back to England, we are going to be having serious words." I grabbed my thin cardigan from the hook on the wall before slinging it over my shoulders. "I'm going, I'm going to get something to eat."

She let out a chuckle and a light snort, "Don't do anything I wouldn't. Love you," she told me. 

"Love you too," I smiled before I ended the call and slipped my phone into my shorts back pocket and looked at my reflection in the mirror. I flattened my static hairs before wiping a dirty mark from under my right eye before slipping on my sandals. 

I left the room, my mind on Alice's words as I saw Sebastian waiting for me in the living room. He was sitting on the sofa, the telly was off, and he was in the light, but it was silent. He looked as casual as I did, he was wearing a pair of long blue shorts and a white tee-shirt, a pair of white canvas trainers on his feet. "Are you ready?" He asked as he got to his feet. 

Nodding my head at him, I smiled. "Yeah."