Part 6

Chapter 6

Baking Cookies/ Bedtime Outfit: black yoga pants with red waistband, Dalmatian spot sweater that hangs off one shoulder. Hair in a French braid that lays over one shoulder.

"All right. It says that we still need one tear, and I never cry." Mal said pointing to the recipe in her spell book.

"Let's just chop up some onions." Carlos said grabbing an onion from the crate beside him and Dude, who was sitting in a large salad bowl. Camilla, though happy that her brother had gotten over his ridiculous fear, didn't see why he all of a sudden had to bring the mutt with him everywhere he went.

"No." Mal whined, upset that this all might have been for nothing, "It says that we need one tear of human sadness. And this love potion gets the best reviews so we have to follow it exactly."

"A tear's a tear. . . "

"That's not true, Jay." Evie spoke up as she handed Mal more flour, "They both have antibodies and enzymes, but an emotional tear has more protein-based hormones than a reflex tear."

"Listen to you." Mal said impressed and Camilla gave Evie a smile as she reached across the table and grabbed more walnuts before popping them into her mouth.

"Yeah, I knew that."

"Did not." Carlos said weakly knocking Jay's shoulder.

"Yeah, I did." Then their banter was cut short but Lonnie coming into the kitchen.

"There you are Mal! I was looking for you." She said as Mal covered her book with a napkin, "You know, all the girls want you to do their hair!" then she looked down at the table, "Midnight snack huh? Whatcha guys makin'?"

"Nothing special. Just cookies." Mal said and before anyone could stop her Lonnie put her finger into the batter and tasted it. When she saw everyone's startled expressions she pulled her finger out of her mouth and muttered, "What? I'm not gonna double dip."

"Feel anything?" Evie asked.

"Yeah, like maybe it might be missing something?" Mal pushed.

Jay took the moment to test out the love potion, he approached Lonnie and leaned against a metal pole giving her his signature go-weak-at-the-knees smile.

"Hey there." He said flirtatiously but Lonnie only stared at him.

"It could use some chips." She said with a shrug and headed for the fridge. Camilla snickered causing Jay to glare at her but it only made her laugh harder.

"And those are?" Mal said seeming slightly annoyed that she was interrupted mid-potion brewing - or baking.

"Chocolate chips." Lonnie replied, "Just the most important food group." She explained bringing over a small dish with little brown things in it and adding them to the batter. "Wait, didn't your moms ever make you guys, like, chocolate chip cookies? Like when your feeling sad and they're fresh from the oven with a big ol' glass of milk and she just makes you laugh and puts everything into perspective and. . . why are you all looking at me like that?" she asked and Camilla realized she was starting to lose her composure. She grabbed more walnuts and munched while she tried to block Lonnie out.

"It's just different where we're from." Mal said going back to stirring the love potion.

"Yeah I know. I just, you know, I thought even villains love their kids. . ." she trailed off again seeing their expressions grow even sadder. "Oh, how awful." She said putting her hand over Mal's leather clad one in an effort to be comforting. Then Camilla perked up, glistening on Lonnie's cheek was a tear. Mal saw it too and quickly snatched it and with a flick of her finger plopped it into the batter.

"Yeah, well, big bummer, but we have to get these into the oven, so thank you so much for coming by. Really, really have a good night. I'll see you tomorrow. Evil dreams."

"Okay, goodnight." Lonnie said smiling as she left then Mal turned to them with a clap.

"Okay, boys cookie sheet. Camilla oven, Evie batter."

"Yes ma'am." Evie replied bringing over the bowl.

- - ROTTEN TO THE CORE - - 

Second day of classes outfit: Dalmatian short sleeve blouse, black skater skirt, short red scarf tied around her neck, red shoes, red fingerless leather gloves, hair in messy side bun mixing the black and white.

Camilla was walking with Carlos after class as they headed for Mal's locker. They ran into Evie and Doug who were coming from a different hall and started chatting with them as they walked. Then they rounded the corner and saw Ben taking a big bite out of Mal's spelled-cookies. Instantly smiles grew on their faces. Jay was leaning against the railing flirting with some girls when he looked over his shoulder and saw Ben and Mal's exchange.

"You know the chocolate. . . the chocolate, chocolate chips are. . . I'm sorry um. . . they're warm and soft. And they're sweet." They all approached slowly like they feared their presence might affect the spell somehow.

"Mal, have you always had those little gold flecks in your eyes?" Ben said about to take another bite but Mal snatched the cookie away.

"How you feeling bro?" Jay asked coming up behind the prince.

"I feel, I feel, I feel like, like singing your name! Maaalll! Ma---" before he could draw attention Mal shoved her hand over his mouth.

"Make sure he gets to the game." Camilla said standing between Evie and Carlos, "It would look suspicious if their star player suddenly chose the girl from the Isle over his team."

"Aren't you coming?" Carlos asked.

"Please." She scoffed, "I have better things to do than sit around watching some sports game."

- - ROTTEN TO THE CORE - - 

Camilla had stopped at her locker before heading back to her dorm. She was just pulling out her red leather jacket when she heard humming. She would recognize that tune anywhere and turned her head just enough to be able to see Audrey out of the corner of her eye. She tried to be subtle about it but the princess must have noticed her looking and she started singing.

"This vampire bat, this inhuman beast. She ought to be locked up and never released. . . hm, hmm, hm, hmm, world was such a wholesome place until, Camilla, Camilla De Vil."

Instead of getting angry and doing something horribly wicked to Audrey Camilla began to shake. It started in her fingers as the girl passed her by, and by the time Audrey turned the corner and left the hall Camilla's hands were shaking so bad she couldn't even keep a grip on her jacket. She tossed it back in her locker slammed the door shut and made for her dorm as quickly as she could.

When she got there she shut the door and put her back to it. What was happening to her? Why didn't she do something cruel to Audrey? What had stopped her? Her chest felt tight and her breathing was coming in shorter pants. Her eyes burned as she felt them fill with tears and realized that for the first time in her life she was about to cry. No. She told herself. She wouldn't cry, she wouldn't let Audrey reduce her to that! She began pacing the floor repeating the mantra her mother taught her in her head.

Don't ever get sad, don't even get mad – get even.

And she would. She started taking deep breaths as she paced and plotted. They'd grab the wand, free all the villains then she'd make Audrey pay, she'd make Philip and Aurora pay, she'd make all of them pay! Then in her rage she picked up an empty vase and threw it at the wall where she watched it shatter. I hate it here! She wanted to cry out, the only thing holding her back was that someone might hear her. She still had to keep her wicked ways under control if they were going to win. Finally, Camilla walked out onto her balcony and looked across the sea to the Isle of the Lost. She missed her home, she missed where she not only fit in but ruled. The people feared her and she got to take whatever she wanted, she missed that power. And on top of all that, she missed him.

I wonder what he's doing right now?