Part 45

Chapter 45

When Harry and Camilla left Uma's room and returned to the main level of the chip shop they found their captain leaning angrily on the bar as she and several others who had gathered around her watched the television that was showing a photo of Mal, Evie, Carlos and Jay each holding a piece of paper as they smiled. The announcer was talking and Harry shoved some other pirates out of the way as they made their way next to Uma and watched the broadcast.

"Mal and the other VK's will collect the applications and choose who gets to go to Auradon Prep!" the narrator was saying as text scrolled along the bottom of the photo reading Next Four go Ashore! Uma slammed her hands on the bar making several of the others jump and back away returning to their tables as they spoke to each other in low whispers.

"That little traitor." Uma snarled as Harry rested his arm across Camilla's shoulders. "Abandons the Isle, forgets all about us and now she's suddenly offering up trips to Auradon?"

"I thought that's what we wanted?" Harry said as he picked at some food on a tray in front of them not caring who he was stealing from, "Ta get everyone off this rock?"

"We were going to get everyone off this rock. Now she is!" Uma shouted at him slapping his hand and making him drop his food but Harry didn't react, he let Uma have her tantrum. She picked up a fish patty and threw it at the screen hitting the image of Mal in the face before she turned to Camilla.

"You know what this means don't you?"

"Mal's going to get everyone on the Isle on her side and leave us in the dirt – again." Camilla said bringing a hand to her hip with Harry still attached to her other side eating his chips. 

"We can't let this happen." Uma said crossing her arms and pacing around the table until she was on the other side of them. Then she used a chair to step up onto the bar and shouted to get everyone's attention.

"All hands on deck!" she cried and every pirate in the place stopped what they were doing and turned to her, "Listen up! I want every pirate in my crew turning the Isle upside down for these applications they're sending. When you find them you tear them from people's hands and rip them to shreds! We are not going to lose our turf and our people to Auradon!"

Everyone raised their swords and cheered for her before leaving the shop and following her orders. Uma got down from the table with a smile as she pushed her teal hair over her shoulder and joined Harry in eating, satisfied her crew would be enough to stop Mal's 'VK Day'.

- -ROTTEN TO THE CORE - -

It wasn't. No matter how fast the pirates worked or how many applications they tore up there always seemed to be more. And what was worse was that with each day that went by there were less and less people coming to the Fish and Chip shop, they all knew that Uma had ordered the destruction of these applications and with each day more and more kids on the Isle decided the risk of her wrath was worth it for the chance to leave with Mal. The biggest supplier of applications was Dizzy Tremaine and all of the Isle knew that if a pirate stole their application all they had to do was run to the Curl Up and Dye and be given another one. And the supply seemed endless, more and more showed up at the barge each day and stacks sat on nearly every countertop of every store on the Isle. Every parent on the Isle wanted their kids to either have a chance at a better life or a chance to tear Auradon down from the inside. Camilla knew that even those who left with wicked intentions would see how good life was in Auradon and convert to good like Mal and the others had. And this VK day would be followed by another, then another, then another until there was no one left for them to terrorize, no one for them to pilfer from and Mal would have taken Uma's power and restored her own reputation all in one move and Camilla hated it! She could see how now in one move Mal had changed her reputation from the girl who abandoned the Isle, to the girl who came back to save it, and suddenly what Camilla did, her display of loyalty was nothing in comparison to someone who can free the people from this prison.