Part 7

Chapter 7

Another distraction came when Evie knocked on her door and asked if she wanted to help her get Mal ready for her first date with Ben. Camilla jumped at the opportunity and joined the two in their room. Evie began applying makeup and Camilla added a braid in Mal's hair.

"Okay easy on the blush. I don't want to scare him away. Not that I could."

"Please. My mom taught me how to apply blush before I could talk. Always use upward strokes." Evie said smiling, happy that she finally could do Mal's makeup.

"My mom was never really big on makeup tips. And I never had a sister."

"Well, now you have two." Evie said as she dabbed on lip gloss sharing a glance with Camilla who was fixing the collar of Mal's jacket over her scarf.

"We're gonna need all the family we can if we don't pull this off."

"We will pull this off." Camilla said brushing out the last few tangles in Mal's hair.

"Well, my mother's not a barrel of laughs when she doesn't get her way." Evie continued, "Just ask Snow White."

"Are you afraid of your mothers?" Mal asked.

"Sometimes." Evie said, "Camilla?"

"Not really." She said sitting down on Mal's free side, "Unless you're an animal with exquisite fur there's really no need to be afraid of my mother. Unless she's in one of her moods." She shrugged.

"Mal?" Evie asked.

She shrugged, "I just really want her to be proud of me. She gets so angry with me when I disappoint her. And, yeah she's my mom, so I know she loves me, in her own way."

"Moving on." Evie said breaking the tender moment they'd fallen into. "Come see." She took Mal's hand and led her to the full length mirror.

"Are we done?" Mal asked seeming surprised like the experience should have been more terrible.

"Yeah." Evie replied pulling her along.

Mal stared at her reflection like she couldn't believe the girl she was looking at was really her.

"I look. .. "

"Say it." Evie said appearing behind her in the mirror.

"Not hideous."

"Not even close."

Camilla sat on the bed noticing that Mal was starting to look – nervous? Wow, there's a word she thought she'd never use to describe Maleficent's daughter. Then there was a knock at the door and it took Mal a second to compose herself enough to answer it. When she did open the door Ben was standing there in his Auradon letterman jacket holding two helmets. He paused as he looked at Mal looking just as stunned as she had a moment earlier.

"For the first time, I understand the difference between pretty and beautiful. I hope you like bikes." He said and Mal took one of the helmets, gave Evie and Camila a look then left for her date. Evie shut the door then turned to Camilla who was looking down at the comforter. She noticed the far away look in her friend's eyes and tried to find a way to cheer her up.

"You must miss him."

Camilla looked up and slid her mask back on, "Please." She scoffed looking away from Evie.

"Come on Camilla, don't play this game with me." She said taking a seat next to her on the bed, "Talk to me. If you don't want to tell me his name I won't push you to, I promise."

Camilla took a moment considering her offer. Then she took a deep breath, "Yes, I miss him." her voice almost cracked as she said it. When she thought about the distance between them that horrible crying feeling came back and she hated that. What had happened to the strong impenetrable walls she'd put up around her emotions? Had Auradon really melted through them so quickly? Evie put her hand over hers in comfort. Camilla didn't know what to say and neither did Evie it seemed. For a long time they sat in silence just enjoying the fact that they had someone who they could turn to.