Part 20

Chapter 20

ONE MONTH LATER

Camilla was on the quarterdeck leaning over looking across the ship. It was a normal day on the Lost Revenge and the crew was going about their usual business. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Harry leave the Captain's Cabin where he'd been meeting with Uma. When she'd named him first mate it'd been very important to her that the whole crew knew that his word was law – just like hers was. Harry crossed the ship, his red jacket blowing behind him, he walked up the steps that led to the deck Camilla was on and joined her leaning his left arm on the rail and staring at her. She could tell something had gotten under his skin but she only kept looking out over the ship.

"Yeh've been spending a lot of time with Gil." He said and Camilla smirked. Ah, jealousy. She knew Harry was very protective of what few things he cared about and she decided to fan the flames a bit. The pirate wasn't the only one who liked to play with fire after all.

"I have." She said simply still not looking at him. It was pointless to deny it, she'd spent most of the past month with Gil, though most of that time was spent improving her fighting, they also, on more than one occasion, had gone deeper into the Isle to simply wreak havoc.  Clearly, it had upset Harry that he had to share his time with her, and she reveled in it.

"Gil's a blitherin' idiot." He mumbled and Camilla's wicked smirk only grew.

"If he bothers you so much how is it you haven't hooked him yet?"

Harry scoffed, "I don't fight invalids." He replied and Camilla gave a small laugh.

"You don't have to worry about Gil, Harry." she told him finally glancing at him.

"What makes ye think I'm –"

"Harry." she interrupted letting him know by her tone that she wasn't going to buy whatever he'd intended to say. Instead he now chose to stay silent, his pride not letting him admit that he was afraid to lose her, to admit he had any weakness. After a moment of silence passed Camilla decided to have mercy on him.

"Being with Gil, "she began slowly as Harry turned to look at her again, "It just feels right. He makes me laugh, everyone knows what a goofball he can be. It's refreshing." Harry scoffed again clearly not enjoying listening to her sing Gil's praises, "When I'm with Gil I can't help but think that that's what having a brother is like." In an instant Harry's mood changed and he looked at her with a new understanding, "Carlos and I never had any real common interests, didn't have any kind of real sibling comradery. But with Gil, he makes me realize Uma was right, a pirates crew is their family." She paused for a minute before turning to Harry with a vicious look, "And if you ever tell her I said that I'll cut you open with your own hook!" she threatened and Harry chuckled.

"I wouldn't expect anything less."

- - ROTTEN TO THE CORE - - 

Meanwhile, Gil had just pocketed some slightly rotten fruit from one of the vendors and was making a casual getaway when he bumped into someone. He turned to see a girl a few inches shorter than him with light lavender hair and a pink outfit.

"Oh, hey Maddy." He said smiling. Mad Maddy was one of Madame Mim's granddaughter's, Gil had seen her around a few times on the Isle but had never really talked to her before.

"Hey Gil." She said with a wide smile, "Sorry to hear about Harry's dad."

"Oh, yeah that was a real bummer." Gil replied knowing Harry would hook him if he let the whole Isle know how devastated he'd really been after his father's death.

"Yeah." Maddy agreed twirling a piece of lavender hair around her finger, "Hey we heard that Harry abandoned the Jolly Roger after, that true?"

"Yep." Gil nodded, "He's Uma's first mate now."