Part 15

Chapter 15 (back to present) Harry P.O.V.

"Camilla." He growled, angered by her sadness, "I swear to you that all the people who have caused ye pain will find themselves on the end of my hook."

He felt her arms tighten around him as she continued to cry into his shoulder. There were no words to describe the hot rage boiling inside him. How dare they. How dare they hurt her like this! Harry couldn't decide whether he wanted to hook them all or watch them walk the plank and be devoured by sharks and man-eating fish.

It had only been a few hours ago Harry had been in Ursula's Fish and Chip shop with Gil, Uma and their crews. They had all been watching the coronation, word had spread on the Isle that Maleficent had given her daughter and her friends the mission of retrieving Fairy Godmother's wand and bringing it back to the dragon witch. Naturally, the entire Isle was watching with baited breath as the coronation unfolded. Uma kept making snide comments about Mal, her dress, her hair, anything she could really. She was still sour about her fallout with her former best friend as she watched the screen of the old television with a look of disgust.

Harry had been leaning on the counter looking for any sign of Camilla. He hadn't seen her for days then she'd been summoned to Auradon and he never even had a chance to sneak over and tell her goodbye. He caught a glimpse of her for a moment when the camera shot a wide angle of the entire hall. She was up in the balcony with the others, she looked stunning. She was wearing a red halter top dress with a Dalmatian print sash around middle, the hem shorter in front and longer in the back. It hugged her frame perfectly and went well with her two-colored hair which was up in a bun with strands framing her face.

He watched with the others as Fairy Godmother blessed the prince with a smile before her wand was snatched from her hand. A moment later the whole shop shook, some shells and bottles fell from the shelves and crashed to the floor. It took a moment for everyone to regain their balance and remember to look at the broadcast. Mal now had the wand and was holding it threateningly at the prince while the others rushed over to her.

Uma threw several curse words – both regular and pirate – when she saw Mal renouncing evil for a life of good. 'No, no, no.' Harry thought as he watched the others join her then turn to Camilla. He felt a stabbing in his chest at the thought of her leaving the Isle forever. Another part fought, why should he care? It's not like she was in his crew, she was in the enemy gang – a VK – but still, they had gotten close someway, somehow. Every time their paths crossed they weren't nasty to each other – especially not as nasty as some of the other villains were on the Isle. Whenever they saw each other Camilla always presented a challenge that Harry found himself drawn to with an intense desire to conquer it. There was a fire in her eyes he longed to play with. He'd make his flirtatious comments and she'd flirt back. But it never had gone further than that. Nevertheless, she was always a welcome breath of fresh air to his day, she made him smile – well, smirk rather. And the thought of her choosing to stay in Auradon forever made something inside him feel like it was breaking, though he couldn't place what the exact feeling was. All he knew was when he watched her dash from the hall he'd felt the greatest relief of his life.

Over the past year as he and Camilla became closer and closer friends he'd always urged her to dump them and join his crew aboard the Jolly Roger. Mal would never let Camilla rise up to her true potential and be the great villain she had the talent to be, not when she could turn out to be even badder than Mal herself. But she'd always refused and he knew why. Her brother was a part of that gang, those were his friends and as long as he sided with them so would Camilla.

So much for family, he thought as he held her, her own flesh and blood had decided to choose good over evil. Harry could sympathize with that, every villain was always in it for themselves and given the opportunity perhaps even Harry would have betrayed everyone on the Isle if it meant his freedom. But to betray yer own blood? That was unforgivable and Harry swore on the Code that he'd make that runt pay. Camilla's crying had calmed, he noticed as he ran his fingers through her hair soothingly, but she still clung to him, her hands fisting his worn red leather jacket.

"Do ye want to stay with me on the Roger tonight?" he offered not wanting to leave her alone in her sorrow. She sniffled as she shook her head and looked at him.

"I should stay with my mother tonight." She said as Harry wiped the tears from her face, "He betrayed her too."

The mention of her brother brought that bad taste to his mouth again and he did his best to keep from scowling, not wanting to risk her thinking his anger was directed at her.

"If ye need me, yeh know where to find me."

- - ROTTEN TO THE CORE - - 

One Month Later – Camilla P.O.V.

If anyone on the Isle thought Cruella De Vil was crazy before they should of gotten a good look at her now. Not that they could of course, she stayed within the walls of Hell Hall day and night sipping her gin and muttering nonsense. Camilla knew her mother was in a state of denial, she adamantly refused to believe Carlos, the imbecile, the spineless little boy had actually gotten the courage to think for himself. Eventually, Camilla stopped reminding her mother of the truth, it was pointless and painful for both of them.

On Cruella's better days Camilla would sneak out of the house and meet Harry. With Mal and the others gone the line between territories had been faded. The lesser villains still fought amongst themselves arguing over who had served the better villain, but Harry didn't have to worry about being caught on the wrong side of the tracks anymore. It was a different story for Camilla, without her gang she was afraid she'd be easily taken advantage of, there was safety in numbers and since she was on her own now she had to duck and dodge her way through the streets whenever she wanted to see the pirate. Camilla was happy she still had at least one friend otherwise she might have gone as mad as her mother.

She had just set down a plate of food for her mother's lunch while Cruella paced the floor of their black and white living room, her long cigarette holder held between her slender fingers, a glass of gin in the other as she grumbled to herself.

"Why, when that ingrate gets back, he'll be doing chores for a year! What on earth could he be doing with those disgusting little friends of his?"

Camilla sighed as she listened to her mother's rambling, her mind had twisted the truth and now she continuously thought Carlos was still on the Isle, out pulling pranks with the others.

"I sent him out for my dry-cleaning ages ago! Should have known the fool wouldn't be able to get it done right. . . "

Camilla left her mother to her ranting as she left the room and climbed several flights of red carpeted steps until she reached her sanctuary –the roof. It was flat in the middle and had wrought iron fencing around the edge, while tall turrets cast shadows from either side. This is where she'd been coming for the past month, it was peaceful and quiet. She could look down on the Isle and feel comfort in the fact that from way up there everyone else looked like ants – small and insignificant. Auradon laid further to the west side of the Isle so Camilla's view was untainted by it, beyond the Isle there was just clear open ocean.

"Stunning, isn't it?" came a deep voice from behind her, but she didn't turn, only smiled to herself. Harry then came up beside her and joined her in leaning against the rail as they looked out at the sea.

"One day when Auradon has fallen and the barrier is destroyed I'll sail across all seven seas." He said wistfully, "The world will once again tremble at the name Hook."

She smiled at his dream wishing she had one of her own. The only thing she'd ever wanted was revenge, beyond that she didn't know what she wanted from the world.

"How did you get up here?" she asked turning around and leaning back on the rusted metal. Harry smiled coyly at her.

"I have my ways." They shared a silent moment just looking at each other with a slightly wicked glint in their eyes before he spoke again.

"Why? Afraid of getting caught?"

"You have no idea the fit my mother would have if she finds out I've been socializing with a filthy pirate."

"Filthy?" Harry said offended, "I'll have ye know I bathe quite regularly."

Camilla couldn't hold back her laughter at his response. It started as chuckles but as he joined in it became actual laughter. It felt good, to forget all the wrong in the world and just have a nice moment alone with a good friend  - her only friend.