Part 28

Chapter 28    (Underlined is two people speaking together)

"Your hair's different." Was the first thing Camilla said, "I like it." she shrugged from her place in the doorway. Then she shut the heavy wooden door giving them some privacy.

"Thanks." He replied politely but cautiously as he stood from the crate he'd been sitting on. There was a long silence as she crossed her arms and walked over to the bars keeping her eyes down. The boards creaked beneath her feet and Carlos swallowed nervously as she approached. The last time they spoke it had been in front of Harry and Gil and the last thing Camilla wanted to do was show her weak side in front of them. Even though she knew they'd be accepting and do their best to comfort and reassure her she still didn't want them to see her break. But now that she was alone with her brother looking at his sad puppy dog eyes she remembered how vulnerable Carlos had been growing up, how she had been the wall that kept the bullying and hurt out. She knew being vicious and cruel would get her nowhere.

"Why did you do it?" she said quietly and in discomfort at the emotional situation that was unfolding. "Why did you pick good?"

She looked up and he shrugged, "I've been mom's servant since before I could walk. I guess living through that made the idea of a villain controlled world less appealing."

"But that would have ended for you. Mom would have found other people to work for her, and you and I would have had maids and butlers serving us –"

"Slaves, Camilla. Mother would have made them her slaves." He said and she paused looking him dead in the eye.

"Better someone else than you." She said and he looked at the floor. "Right?"

She watched him take a deep breath before looking back up at her, "Do you really feel nothing for the people of Auradon?"

"Why should I?" she scoffed, "In the twenty years we've been stuck here they haven't felt a thing for us."

Carlos knew she was right, just like how the people of Auradon felt nothing about Captain Hook's death, but there was one exception, "Ben did. He's the reason we had a chance." He paused, "But you do have a point, I do understand that. It's not – ha –" he laughed dryly, "It's not all black and white." Camilla gave the same dry chuckle and rolled her eyes. "There are nasty people in Auradon, like Chad, like Audrey but there are also good people on the Isle, like the four of us. . . like you."

She scoffed again, "I'm not good." She replied and he smirked.

"Just because you like to be in charge doesn't necessarily make you evil you know." He said playfully and she actually had to hold back a smile. "Do you really enjoy being a pirate?" he asked and she paused. 

"With the crew I finally feel like I fit in, like this is where I'm supposed to be."

"That's how I feel about Auradon." He replied and there was a long pause before Carlos got the courage to break it, "You shouldn't be afraid Camilla –"

"I'm not afraid of anything."

"—Afraid to feel." He finished and she paused again.

"The last time I let my emotions get the best of me was after I left Auradon and did nothing but lock myself in my room and cry." Carlos had to do his best to reign in his shock at that news, "Harry was the only one who saw me at my lowest point and he still stood by me." She murmured before it got quiet again, so quiet they could hear the waves splashing against the side of the boat.

"I knew I hurt you Cami I just didn't think I hurt you that much. That you even cared about me that much."

"Don't call me Cami." She muttered under her breath and looked at the floor.