Part 40

Chapter 40

Diego De Vil was walking through the corridors of Dragon Hall, the school on his side of the Isle, running intentionally late for class – as every great villain did. His own reputation had been both helped and hindered by his cousin's recent change of lifestyles. There were those who mocked him about his cousin Carlos who now lived in the pristine land of Auradon though Diego couldn't fault him for that. Given the cruelty and abuse he'd suffered at the hands of his own mother, being subjected to act more as her servant than her son Diego could clearly see why he'd jump at the chance to stay in Auradon. He'd also seen his cousin on the few working televisions on the Isle competing in something called Tourney, and he'd been doing very well at it.

His cousin Camilla however had gone a completely different route, having turned her back on goodness in front of the world at the televised coronation, she'd returned to the Isle and become the unlikely dark hero to many of its inhabitants. Villains appreciated loyalty, especially when someone could have betrayed them for something better, so Camilla became somewhat of a celebrity, also helping Diego's reputation, if he ever did get caught in a bit of trouble all he had to do was remind those around him of his relation to Camilla and they'd let him slide. He'd heard of his cousin's new alliance with Uma and her pirate crew and he'd even heard a few whispered rumors of her new relationship with the pirate prince himself Harry Hook. Word of the brawl that ensued between Uma and Mal had spread across this desolate rock like wildfire and when he'd seen Camilla strutting around the following week he was happy to say that she looked unscathed.

He was broken out of his daydreaming when he noticed Jace and Harold by the lockers whispering urgently and casting worried looks over their shoulders at him. True he might not be the most frightening villain on the Isle, which is what made their behavior seem so odd since he and his aunt's minions always had gotten along pretty well. He continued past them and on his way, once he was out of their sight he quickly ducked around the next three halls circling back around and keeping himself hidden behind the corner closest to the lockers where Jace and Harold were.

"Diego won't hurt you Jace, he's a troublemaker but it's not like he's as wicked as Mal." Harold was saying.

"But we've never seen Diego when he's truly pissed off. And how do you think he'll react when he finds out about his cousin? Or when he finds out about the role I played in it! What happened to Camilla –"

"Shhh, keep your voice down! And come on Jace, you had no choice! The De Vil woman would have snapped your neck herself if she found out you'd hidden information from her. Who's really worse to deal with? Cruella or Diego?"

Jace shuddered, "I don't like being on the wrong side of any of the De Vil's. Carlos was the only nice one and he left for Auradon. He won't help me either."

"Or maybe Diego will help you if you just tell him the damn truth." He said turning the corner and leaning against the wall with his arms crossed. He'd heard plenty and if something had happened to Camilla he wouldn't stop until he'd tracked down the villain responsible, however judging by their conversation it seemed Camilla's problems might be coming from her own mother. Wouldn't the Isle just eat up that gossip? It might even make its way all the way to Auradon.

Both Jace and Harold jumped back when he revealed himself and they each began to stutter and stammer their way through possible excuses and explanations.

"Save it." Diego spat and like good henchmen they did as they were told. Then he walked over to Jace and grabbed him by his jacket and slammed him against the lockers. "What happened to Camilla?"

Jace was white as a sheet as he quickly explained everything he'd seen, everything he'd told Diego's Aunt Cruella and everything that had happened afterward. Diego's eyes grew wider and wider as the boy went on but before Diego could throw a punch to Jace's jaw like he really wanted to he heard laughter coming from behind him.