Part 43

Chapter 43

They headed out as soon as they were all ready. Normally walking across the Isle to get to Medusa's would take at least an entire day, probably longer if they had to avoid other villain kids causing trouble. Luckily they first stopped at Dragon Hall with Diego and Harriet who knew exactly where to find Harold and Jace. The two boys looked ready to wet their pants when they saw all the big name villains coming their way. Between Uma, Gil, Harry, Harriet, CJ, Diego and the Facilier girls they knew they looked intimidating and when Diego grabbed Jace and shoved him against the lockers again with a smile and said 'Hey Jace, nice to see you again.' both boys trembled looking white as sheets. They'd talked the boys into stealing their father's truck for them so they could get across the Isle faster, one threat from Diego was all it took to ensure that neither one would snitch and rat them out to their parents and they were on their way. The only one who knew how to drive was Diego after years of stealing cars for joyriding so he took the wheel and steered them to the swamps. Once they were there they ditched the truck knowing it would never make it in all the mud – it was a miracle it had made it the first time according to Diego - and they went the rest of the way on foot. They used their swords to slash at vines that hung in their way until the boathouse came into view. Harry clenched his jaw and tightened his hand around the handle of his blade. He took one step forward with the clear intention of storming inside to get his girl when Harriet, Uma and CJ all reached out a hand to stop him. Then he followed their gaze and saw why, out in the murky lake water around the house were at least four crocs, and that was just what they could see, there was no telling how many were under the water and they also figured there would be two more inside, Medusa's precious Brutus and Nero waiting for them.

Before they could decide on how to get in, the door to the boathouse opened and a woman with bright red hair and an awful red dress stepped out, she was followed by a short round man in a yellow suit and she was barking something about staying there to guard the brat while she went out. She strutted down the dock to her car which was oddly similar to Cruella's and they heard Celia mutter under her breath, 'wannabe'. Once the car with Medusa inside drove off they watched her henchman go back inside.  

"We should use the exterior deck to surround him and flank him." Harriet suggested.

"But if the crocs in the water are working for Medusa too they're going to attack us the minute we're on the docks." Freddie spoke up.

"I'm willing to be the distraction again." Gil offered with his usual goofy smile.

CJ scoffed, "These aren't the bird brains working for the Evil Queen. A croc will catch you and make you its meal before we have a chance to get to the door."

Gil looked a bit offended by that as he replied, "No beast alive stands a chance against the son of Gaston."

"I'll go." Uma spoke up and both Gil and Harry turned to her. Using your captain for live bait was unheard of, that was a job for a deckhand or someone too crazy or too stupid to know they were being used as a pawn. Uma turned to them and saw their looks of surprise, "I'm the one who's best in the water, they won't ever get a claw on me. I'll circle the Isle and meet you back at the ship and by the time the crocs come back here you'll all be long gone with Camilla."

"We'll need lookouts too." Diego spoke up, "We don't want Medusa coming back while we're in there. She might get back in her car and go report to my aunt."

"Okay, Freddie, Celia you think you two and keep an eye on the perimeter?" Harriet asked them and they both nodded.

"I can stay out here in the bayou and Celia can go with you guys as far as the door." Freddie said, "If I see that woman coming back I'll signal to her and she can get the rest of you."