Phone Call

**Peter knows he'll probably not make it out of the fight, but he wants to talk to Tony one more time... Enjoy!**

Peter huffed slightly, his fingertips lightly tracing over the metal in his chest. It was sticky with hot blood, but cool to the touch. Cold. Hard.

He knew he didn't have a ton of time. He knew that.

If he had his suit, if he had Karen or FRIDAY or Ned, he might be able to, but in his homemade suit, he knew he didn't have a ton of time.

The teen coughed, scarlet staining his lips. The rubble around him began to shift uncomfortably, crushing Peter's legs even more that they already were.

He fished around in his pocket, his hands grasping for his phone. Cracked, dusty, and low on battery, but otherwise fine. Peter opened it quickly and found his aunt.

Hey.

The little bubbles of an iPhone popped up, and soon enough there was a reply.

Hi, hun! I'm about to go into a room, do you need something?

Peter craned his neck, the cramped space was starting to really hurt his back. No, just checking in. I love you.

On the other side of the phone, May smiled despite her brows furrowing. Peter hardly ever just checked in, but maybe he was just thinking of her. Growing up. Becoming more thoughtful. Love you, too. Have a good time tonight, I'll see you later.

Peter smiled, then went to Ned's contact.

Hi, buddy.

Ned's reply came fast. Hey, where'd you go? 

Got caught up in some drama, haha. I'll catch up with you later.

Alright. Be safe, dude. Ned knew his best friend was probably swinging into action.

Peter smiled. He could have asked May or Ned to call an ambulance, or make a call to the Tower, but time was short, and thousands of pounds of rubble would take hours to move. He wouldn't do anything but stress his aunt out if he brought up the situation he was in, or terrify his friend if he told him where he was.

There was only one move in this situation. Tell those you love that you love them.

Peter swiped his finger down the screen, searching for one more contact. Things had ended poorly last time the two had talked, so maybe a text would have been the best choice, but Peter wanted to hear his voice one more time. He just wanted to hear him say Underoos one more time.

The phone rang 3 times before it was answered hastily, the sounds of someone moving things around and metal scraping on metal coming through the phone.

"Kid. What's up?"

Peter tried to keep him voice even.

"Hey, Mr. Stark. I was just calling to check in."

A cough came through the last part of his statement, but Tony was too focused on his coding to hear it.

"I'm working, Underoos. Aren't you supposed to be at some dance or whatever?"

Peter furrowed his brow. "You know about that?"

"Yeah, I know we didn't exactly end our last conversation on good terms, but I still keep up on your life. I gotta know when to give you the suit back."

Peter laughed, blood bubbling up his throat and burning his mouth. Laughing was not a good feeling right now.

"I guess. I didn't know you were planning on giving it back to me."

Tony scoffed. "Of course I'm going to give it back to you. You're Spiderman, Pete, I can't have you out there swinging around in a pair of pajamas."

"So what the thing that'll make you give it back?"

"When I see you acting like a real hero."

There was silence for a moment, while Tony waited for Peter to reply and Peter tried to make his coughing and whimpering as quiet as possible. Tony took this as a bad sign and tried to rephrase.

"You're a real hero now, too, but I just want you to learn some self-preservation. I wanna know if I let you go out, I'll see you later the same day."

Peter didn't like the direction this conversation was going, so he changed the subject. "How's Pepper? Are you going to pop the question soon? Happy says you will, but I said I didn't think-"

The billionaire set the phone to speaker and listened as the teen rambled off. It was kind of strange that he was calling Tony instead of enjoying the dance, but hen again, Peter wasn't exactly the normal teen.

"So anyways, Happy mentioned how you'd given him the ring but you never asked for it back, so he said he'd be the first to know, but then I said-"

"You want to help me ask her?"

Peter didn't mind getting cut off. "Of course! When were you thinking?"

"Probably soon. I want to do something classy and relaxed, she already has enough paparazzi and stuff in her life."

"Why not make her something at home? I know you have those recipes from your mom and Pepper loves Italian food, so then you guys don't have to deal with any press or anything. You could make something fresh and from the heart and all of that."

Tony smiled. He loved how thoughtful Peter was sometimes. "I love that, actually. More importantly, Pepper will love it."

Peter smiled, but found his muscles were getting more and more tired. It was time.

"Hey, Mr. Stark? I better get going," Peter murmured, his eyes drooping.

"Alright," Tony said, picking up the phone again. "Have fun, and don't do anything I would have done as a teen. No drinks. No drugs."

Peter let out a soft heh. "I know. I love you."

Tony stared at his desk, those 3 words echoing in his mind.

"I know I disappointed you before, and I never really said this, but I love you. I miss my uncle a lot, but not as much when I'm around you. You're like having him back. I like having someone to look up to."

Tony didn't know what was happening. His cheeks were wet. His mind and heart were racing.

"I love you," Peter whispered, his eyes falling shut.

Tony suddenly realized. He knew this speech. He knew that tone. It was the same tone he'd used in Siberia, the same tone he used on Pepper the first time she had left.

"Peter, where are you? Are you okay?" The teen didn't reply, and the billionaire swore. "FRIDAY track the suit."

FRIDAY didn't respond right away, and Tony realized his mistake. "FRIDAY, trace the phone! Trace Peter's phone!"

FRIDAY sent the frantic man a text with coordinates and Tony let the iron suit engulf his body. He had to go save his kid.