"You Guys Seem So Happy"

**Inspired by the art above bc it looks a little like Peter and then Tony and Steve and I'm crying. So this is obviously semi-dark!Peter, but its so good, I swear! TW: sexual assault (it isn't Peter) so please please please don't read if that's a sensitive topic to you. Enjoy!**

Peter hated the way his stupid suit got sticky and hot and made him itch when it got too heavy with blood, so the first thing he did when he left his old line of work was change his uniform. HYDRA was big on functionality and tough materials, but the Avengers... they were so much more relaxed.

"Really, Pete?" Tony watched as the teen slipped out of his room, dressed in a pair of soft, cotton shorts and a sweater. "That's the winner?" It was the fourth times the teen had worn that particular outfit this week alone.

Peter shrugged. It wasn't exactly his favorite outfit, but the sweater was soft and the shorts were cool and breezy. It looked a little like a private school uniform, but he didn't care. It's not like he ever went to any school of any kind. HYDRA kept a tight leash on their experiments.

"You said I can pick my outfits from now on."

Tony just grumbled something under his breath about Peter finally bringing some color to his wardrobe.

The teen wandered through the kitchen, seemingly lost. It was still new - being free to do whatever he wanted. Ever since The Avengers had recovered Peter from a HYDRA base they busted, ever since Tony had adopted him, Peter was trying to adjust to the new lifestyle the team had provided him. He finally grabbed a soda from the fridge and popped the tab.

"Is that a good choice for breakfast?" Tony asked.

Peter shrugged again. He never claimed to make good choices now that he was making his own choices.

The afternoon was warm and slow, full of sleepy naps and Peter leaned up against the couch and Tony relaxed against the arm of the couch. They watched a movie for a bit, then worked a bit on Peter's school work. Having missed out on traditional school, Peter was both the smartest kid Tony knew, and the most uneducated. Peter could speak 13 different languages, stalk silently through any scenery, hit a target from half a mile away, and pilot a plane, but he couldn't tell you anything about algebra or the historical impacts of World War 2.

Peter's mind was analytical and machine-like. He tore through math and science like it was a game, but things like writing and history were hard for him. There wasn't one right answer. It was left too much to choice.

After a few hours of working through that, Peter and Tony settled back on the couch to watch some sit-com that had come on earlier. A rerun from the 90's. Peter appreciated the easy-going plot and simple jokes.

Steve burst through the penthouse doors, startling both Tony and Peter out of their lounging. "Meeting."

Peter wasn't supposed to be going to Avenger meetings, but he also wasn't supposed to be left unsupervised for now. Tony tried calling Pepper, but there wasn't any answer.

"Pepper's not picking up," the billionaire said, looking up at Steve and then glancing Peter's direction. "You can just fill me in later."

Steve shook his head. "This can't be filled in."

Tony furrowed his brow. "Is it anything to do with SHIELD? Or HYDRA? Or anything else that could be considered high profile?"

Steve shook his head again. "It's very high profile, but it's not like we can't tell Peter."

The teen pulled a face. "Oxymoron, there, moron."

"Peter," Tony warned. The teen huffed out an apology.