The Fires Of Pompeii pt.2

Night has fallen. Quintus holds a burning torch as he leads the Doctor and me through Pompeii.

"Don't tell my Dad" Quintus says looking down as the Doctor and I jump up to a window and the Doctor opens the shutters.

"Only if you don't tell mine" I say winking as I go inside then the Doctor leans out.

"Pass me that torch" Quintus hands the Doctor the torch. The hypocaust is glowing red with heat. Quintus enters as the Doctor and I look around, then I take down a curtain to reveal a wall of different design marble tiles.

"The liar. He told my father it was the only one" Quintus says shocked.

"Well, plenty of marble merchants in this town. Tell them all the same thing, get all the components from different places, so no one can see what you're building" I say.

"Which is what?" Quintus asks.

"The future, Seer, Doctor. We are building the future, as dictated by the gods" Lucius says.

*Time skip*

I am rearranging the circuit boards, as the Doctor and Quintus stand behind me.

"Put this one there. This one there. Er, keep that one upside down, and what you got?" I ask looking up at Lucius.

"Enlighten me."

"What, the soothsayer doesn't know?"

"The seed may float on the breeze in any direction."

"Yeah, I knew you were going to say that. But it's an energy converter."

"An energy converter of what?"

"I don't know. Isn't that brilliant? I love not knowing. Keeps me on my toes. It must be awful being a prophet, waking up every morning, is it raining? Yes, it is, I said so. Takes all the fun out of life. But who designed this, Lucius, hmm? Who gave you these instructions?"

"I think you've babbled enough" I stand.

"Lucius, really, tell me. Honestly, I'm on your side. I can help."

"You insult the gods. There can be only one sentence. At arms" the guards draw their short swords.

"Oh, morituri te salutant" the Doctor says.

"Celtic prayers won't help you now."

"But it was her, sir. She made me do it. Mister Dextrus, please don't" Quintus says.

"Come on now, Quintus, dignity in death" I say.

"I respect your victory, Lucius. Shake on it? Come on. Dying man's wish?" The Doctor asks as he grabs at Lucius' right arm beneath the clock and pulls. There is a breaking sound.

"Argh" I look over to see that the Doctor is holding a stone hand and forearm.

"But he's..." Quintus starts.

"Show me" the Doctor says, Lucius throws back the cloak. His entire right side has calcified.

"The work of the gods."

"He's stone" Quintus says.

"Armless enough, though. Whoops" I say as the Doctor throws the arm back to Lucius.

"Quintus!" Quintus throws the torch at a guard as I sonic the circuit boards, then we all make our escape through the window.

"Run!" I say as we get onto the ground below the window, after running for a while, we all stop.

"No sign of them. Nice little bit of allons-y. I think we're all right" the Doctor says.

"But his arm, Doctor. Is that what's happening to Evelina?" there's a rumble. A dog starts barking.