15

The red light turns green as Ruth continues on her way to my home.

Trees with full branches of leaves, wave in the wind, a blur passing by. My head hits the window as the car goes over speed bumps. A soreness spreads in the spot.

"How has life been?" Ruth speaks up. My gaze follows the outside environment.

"It's fine." I say, slouching in my seat. She nods.

"Have you been taking your meds?" I glance at her.

She's not one to waste time, huh? Straight to the point.

"I guess." I mumble. I did take some, once.

"That's great. The medicine is there to help you." She assures, turning on to my house street. I nod.

Has she ever put one of those pills in her mouth? They don't fix the problem, they try to cover it up inside you and convince you you're fine now. Plus, they taste horrible.

She parks by the sidewalk and we both get out, walking up to the house in silence.

This is going to be so fun.

The door swings widen open as my mother's beaming smile is revealed behind it. Baby pink covers her from head to toe.

She's dragging this.

"Hello again, Ruth darling. It's been a while." She throws her arms around the poor woman as they both stagger back. I step aside, dodging them, and slip inside the house.

I run upstairs, my feet stomping on the red carpeted steps, as I head to my room.

What was the point of even going to school? It's been an hour and I'm already back home.

I open my door, taking a second to look at the plain white walls and bed.

Maybe if someone locked me in here they couldn't take me away.

My bag slips off my shoulders and I turn back on my heel. Staying in my room right now is like going to court without any representation. I need to get this lady off my back.

I hurry down the stairs and turn into the living room, where Ruth and my parents sit making small talk.

My chest rises and lowers, slowly as I walk towards them. Ruth notices me and sends me a slight smile, patting the seat next to her.

I nod and sit beside her.

Getting on her good side today would be nice, I'm not going to lie.

"Thanks for joining us, Naomi. We're waiting for you." Ruth says as my parents nod and smile at her.

"Here I am." I shrug.

"Yes, so let's jump right into business." She tugs out her brief case and lays in on our table. Unlocking it , she pulls out some paper work.

"According to my supervisor, you two called recently to get Naomi sent to a facility sooner than later?" They nod.

"We just feel like we're not enough for her to get well. She's stopped taking her medicine, gets into trouble at school, and we don't know how to deal with her." My mother whines.

Of course you don't know how to deal with me, You don't even know how to deal with your own problems.

"Okay, that all sound like reasons we would allow the patient to be admitted once again to our home." Ruth jots down notes, as I roll my eyes.

A home? Bye.

"And how do you feel about this Naomi?" She turns to me, ready to write down every word I say.

Might as well make them count.

"I don't think I need to go. I don't get into trouble that much and I did take my medicine." The chair dips in as I shuffle to face her. Her head is down as she spares my parents and I quick glances.

"Naomi, you have not taken a pill this month." My father says. His voice is strangely higher as he addresses me nicely.

They haven't checked my bottle yet huh?

"It says take it when needed. My psychosis isn't that bad, Dad." I remind him. He scowls at me.

"She's right. Although daily use is recommended, she can take the pills as she likes." Ruth backs me up. His scowl disappears as she blinks at him.

"Yes but she doesn't like to take the pills even when she needs them." My mom interjects.

"That is true but in that case it is the parent's fault for not encouraging their child to take the medicine." Ruth closes the top of the brief case.

"It's her choice. We can't force her as you just said." My mother's fake smile wanes.

"I also said encourage. What child wouldn't listen to the words of their loving parents?" Ruth crosses her legs, straightening her back.

That's a stretch. Plenty of children rebel against their parents, she knows that too.

"A troubled child." My mother grits out.

"Or maybe a kid that doesn't have such loving parents." Ruth narrows her eyes at my mom and dad.

"What do you mean?" My father ask, as both his and my mother's façade wear off.

"Great question, Mr. Harrison. I had a meeting with your daughter's principal and he explained to me how obnoxious and verbally abusive your wife was to your daughter when she came in yesterday.

I smirk.

So that was her move? Why's she on my side?

"No, I just educating the principal on what kind of a person Naomi is. I didn't want him to punish another student because of my daughter's mistakes."

She never learns, does she? That might not be the best thing to say right now.

"The type of person your daughter is? Are you even around her enough to know that? I also heard yesterday was the first day you had ever come in to address her behavior in school. Seems like neglect to me, knowing both your schedules." Ruth deadpans. My parents sit in silence, staring at her as my eyes dance between them.

"So what exactly are you trying to say?" They both glare at Ruth as I watch her very carefully.

No one's ever on my side.

"You might want to invest in a lawyer soon. I will be contacting CPS and no, Naomi will not be going to any institution, anytime soon."
____________________________________
1.56k - 9/10/20

Thoughts???

Not much to say but thank u all for the support

Bye bye.