33

People crowd the streets of the mall, bodies shifting around and among each other as my eyes lay on Maddy. She picks out another black dress, this one smaller than the last five.

I couldn't pull the last one over my knees.

"I think this is your size." She holds the dress up in front of me. Her eyes squint as she nods. Scarlett sighs.

"Stop trying to strangle her into shit the second day you've known her." Scarlett's soft voice says, as I nod.

"I'm not wearing that." I deadpan.

I don't even remember why I agreed to this. I was too caught up in the moment yesterday, emotional for no reason other than seeing my only friend belonging to his own friend group.

I don't care that much. I shouldn't.

"Then what do you want me to do? Just pick what you want to wear then." She says. I blink, moving past the dress section to the hoodie section right behind it. Pulling out a black, large one, I show it to them. Maddy smirks as Scarlett shakes her head.

"I was waiting for you to stop acting like you were bored or something. Daxon doesn't usually hang out with boring people." Maddy says, grabbing the hoodie from my hands as I scoff.

"Maybe I was bored. I honestly don't think we'll be friends." I say, looking away as I internally scold myself.

I said I would blend in, but it's too hard to keep my mouth shut. I might as well distance myself now.

"And why not?" Scarlett asks. I shake my head.

"I don't tend to get along with people for long. We might end up fighting." I say, a small smile on my lips.

Why the fuck am I even talking like this? Why do I have to be like this?

Maddy bursts out in heavy laughter as Scarlett chuckles, her shoulders bouncing with her. I watch them silently.

Laughter is better than us being awkward. I should just shut up and keep it pushing.

"I'd love a good fight! I love you!" Maddy says, bringing her arms down around my neck as I flinch back.

Didn't they hear what I said?

"If you want to fight, then why don't we just go at it?" Scarlett says, walking closer to us.

My eyebrows furrow.

"Girl, I think you'll get along fine with us. For now, let's just get you some clothes." Maddy says, linking her arm with mine spinning us around. Scarlett walks beside me as I continue to watch them with wide eyes.

I went out of my way to explain to the situation and they're ignoring it.

Scoffing, I shake my head.

They're kind of like Daxon. I'm not sure if I hate it or not.

I don't know how to feel.

***

I heave up the stairs, carrying at least 10 bags. Scarlett and Maddy mirror my expression as we reach the top of the stairs on Daxon's floor.

"I told you not to buy so many shoes." Scarlett grunts, leaving the bags at her feet as I rest on the wall and Maddy on the door. My door next to Daxon's lays wide open.

"She needs more than one pair of boots, sneakers, and flip flops. We couldn't let her live like that. Plus, you're talking, you bought her like 50 belts." Maddy whines as Scarlett shrugs.

"They were a dollar each."

A hand slams beside us as our eyes turn to the entrance of my room. Rick walks out, letting out a deep sigh as his gaze lands on us. He narrows his eyes.

"So now you're coming back? What happened to two hours? Its been five and we had to move in all of her shit." He complains, as I stare at him.

That happened already, huh? Then all of them are-

Just as the thought crosses my mind, Matteo and the rest of the guys walk out of my room, Cole and Daxon both in white undershirts. My eyes meet Daxon's. He winks at me and I roll my eyes.

What a buff weirdo.

"Seriously, carrying a couch up flights of steps, isn't fun." Matteo whines as Maddy begins chuckling quietly under her breath. I scoff myself.

"Stop complaining, we had a lot of exercise. Let's take the bags inside so Naomi can see her place." Scarlett says, picking back up her heavy load of our purchases, her tiny frame trudging towards my door. Rick sucks his teeth, stomping over to her, grabbing the bags out her hands and entering my apartment. Scarlett simply follows behind him.

Maddy and I lock eyes. She smirks at me as I shake my head, picking up my own load.

Scar is funny.

Daxon slides up next to me as we walk towards my apartment.

"Aren't you going to take the bags?" I ask. He pokes my arm.

"No, I'm not." A huge smile fills his face as I roll my eyes, turning into the door of my new room. Boxes, a couch and a mattress fills the apartment, along with everyone. I set my bags to the side as I plop down onto the plastic wrapped couch beside us. Daxon dips next to me.

"Did you enjoy your girl's day out?" He asks, leaning in closer to me as I back up, trying not to let any expression show.

"It's better than hanging out with you." I say, bringing my hand under my nose to hide my smile. Daxon scoffs, leaning even closer as I back away even more.

"Are you sure? Sounds like you had fun." My hand lowers as I give in to the amusement bubbling in my chest.

We aren't friends but I mean... it wasn't as tragic as I thought it would be. At least, not yet.

"I guess I did." Daxon's smile fades from his face as he stares even harder at me. Heat rushes to my face.

I should get up but-

"Can you love birds cut that shit out? We have a couple things to talk about." I jump up as Daxon turns slowly to face Rick and the others, who all sit in a circle on the ground. My eyes narrow at them as Scarlett motions me over.

"Shut up." Daxon says, the brightness in his tone from before gone, leaving a dull dead response. Sitting close to Scarlett, Daxon joins us too, sending me only a fleeting glance.

What's his deal?

"Now that we have everyone here, we can discuss the break-in and how that'll go." Cole explains.

"Huh?" I say, not realizing the sound is out my mouth until they all stare back at me.

"You didn't know? Daxon." Daxon avoids Cole's gaze, instead staring at me. Matteo sighs, rubbing his forehead.

"We're going to break into Legacy headquarters to steal some documents. You need to be ready in three days."