"This gray couch or the black one?" Daxon asks as I shrug.

"The black one."

This is exhausting and expensive. How the fuck am I going to pay him back? And where the fuck is all this money coming from?

"We'll take that one." He points to the fuzzy black couch and heads to checkout. I follow behind him as the harsh white lights above us hurt my eyes.

"Daxon, how much is the chair?" I ask, he stops at the counter, swiping his card. He ignores me, tying in all the payment info.

"Daxon, I can't let you spend this much on me." I say, as he nods at the cashier. His eyes turn to meet mine and I wait for a response.

What the fuck? I should've never agreed to stay with him. He's going too far.

"If I tell you how much it is, you might really feel in debt to me, so I won't." He smiles at me, patting my head as he walks away, heading towards the exit of the shop. I jog after him.

"Daxon, seriously!" I grab his shoulder as he sighs. We stop outside the store, in front of the glass displays. Daxon turns to face me, the coldness in his eyes a bit more chilling than usual.

"If I'm doing you a favor, it's because I want to. Learn to accept gifts, Naomi." He grabs my hand, taking us to the car as his words run through my mind.

Learn to accept gifts?

Spending more than 10,000 dollars on someone, can't be a gift. I'll treat it more as a loan.

"We got the couch, the bed, kitchen supplies, bathroom stuff, a tv, and a desk. Anything else you need." We sit in the car as he smiles at me. I roll my eyes at him.

"That's more than enough." I murmur, sitting back in my seat with a pout. Daxon chuckles, leaning in towards my seat as his face inches close to mine.

"You're cute when you're mad, have I ever told you that?" He smirks, bringing a finger to poke my cheek. Heat rushes to my face as I smack his finger away.

"You're annoying, have I ever told you that?" I say, sucking my teeth and looking out of the window. My heart beats a touch quicker as Daxon laughs, starting the car.

Can I really stay in the same abandoned building as him?

Silence stretching between us as the car ride goes on. Daxon frowns as I stare out the window, stealing small glances at him.

He goes from beaming to this dead expression so quickly, I can't tell how he's really feeling, ever.

"Do you have a crush on me?" Daxon suddenly says, breaking the silence as my heart skips a beat.

I scoff.

"What's on your mind?" I ask, turning to face him in my seat. He tenses.

I always wonder, but never ask. Maybe that's my problem.

No smile comes to his face as he halts at a red light, the gleam of it coming through the front window and dying the air around us it's color.

"You." He answers with no expression. My eyes widen as the light turns green again and we go.

My mouth hangs a little open, as no words make their way to my lips. I nod and lean back against the window as my heart beats wildly.

Me?

***

"They should deliver everything by tomorrow morning. I'll show you your place and you can stay at my house today." He says, parking the car. I take a deep breath as I hop out of my seat, outside. The forest surrounds us, tall brown bark, stretching into large bushes of leaves above.

Home sweet home.

"Last I remember, your place only has one bed and a gun room." Daxon rounds the trunk, walking besides me as we head towards his giant brick, apartment complex.

Why was this built in the forest again?

"You can sleep on the floor. Don't worry, if you want, I can join you." He winks at me and I shove at his shoulder, shaking my head. His usual smile masks his face as we make it to his front door. He pulls out two keys, tossing one to me. I catch it between my middle and pointer fingers, looking down at the metal and then Daxon.

"You already have a key made for me?" I ask, as he using his to open the door.

"Of course, ever since you became my bodyguard." He says, leaning against the doorway. I stare at him.

That doesn't sound weird at all.

"Let's just go in." I say, pushing pass him as we walk up the stairs. They continue just as long as they did the first time I came here. We make it to Daxon's floor, his door right next to the steps. He looks back at me as I breath deeply.

I really have to get into better shape if I'm going to live here.

"Hurry up, your apartment is right next to mine." He stands at the top of the steps as I stop next to him. His smirk widens as I try to catch my breath. The darkness of the wide hallway brings out his dead eyes, almost shielding the rest of his face from my view.

He looks like even more of a bastard.

"Stop...rushing me." I manage to croak out, finally able to breath again. He smiles extra big and fake, taking my wrist.

"If you can, speak you can move." He drags me towards the door next to his and stops in front of it. He digs in his other pocket, again pulling out two keys. He hands me one and my confusion grows.

"Did you know I would be moving in here today too?" I ask, narrowing my eyes at Daxon, as he shakes his head, using his key to unlock the door.

"I just keep copies of the keys here." He opens the door, revealing a space a lot like his studio. Only a little bigger. The walls are white as the golden noon sun comes in from the window, touching every corner and wall, a blanket of it even on Daxon and I.

It's beautiful and it's mine. It's my home.

I turn to Daxon, a small smile on my face.

The stain of the events of today lift just a bit as I throw my arms around him. He stiffens as I squeeze his torso.

Just this once, I'll do what I want to.

"Thank you." I whisper. His arms slowly relax and he brings them around my waist.

Just this once, I'll let this feeling win.