31

"I want to sleep in the closet." I protest as Daxon looks up at me from his bed.

After exploring the room, we came back to Daxon apartment. Ever since I hugged him, he's been a little quiet.

"No, Naomi. Just take the bed, I'll sleep on the floor." His usual bright tone, dark and tired. I shake my head.

"You've done enough for me today, Just let me disappear. In the closet, you won't even notice I'm here." I reason, as he shakes his head.

"I want to see you. I don't mind you being here." He says, getting up. I flinch back as he walks closer to me, stopping inches from my face. The feeling from before returns.

This didn't used to faze me, what's going on?

"Stop being so stubborn. I won't bite." His husky voice tickles my ear, as his leans in and whispers. I take a step back from him.

He's so embarrassing.

"Whatever, I'll take the floor." I say, backing away from him and leaning against the wall.

Why does it get so hot when he's close like that?

"Good. What do you want for dinner? It's getting kind of late." His voice remains deep as his expression gone. Only his dead eyes bore into me as he heads towards the kitchen.

It's like that happy guy he is usually, is fake. That's what my therapist would say anyway.

This is the real Daxon.

"Just make something easy, like hot dogs." I say, turning and sitting on his bed. He stands at his small kitchen area as I kick my feet, looking at the ground.

I'll never understand Daxon. There are simply moments his body language don't match his word or facial expression. He's smiling one second then frowning the next. I can't trust him.

The sound of gunshots and laughter echo in my memory as I sigh.

But I want to. I do.

"Are you sure you want hot dogs? They're full of-" Daxon is cut off as knocking on the front door echoes throughout the small home. I tense.

Who comes to an abandoned apartment building this time at night?

I stand up, going towards the gun room. My eyes stay on Daxon as he sighs, shaking his head at me.

"There's no need. They just came a little early, that's all." He steps away from his stove, taking two steps to the door. I watch with an eyebrow arched up.

They? Does he mean his friends?

My heart starts beating a touch faster as my palms sweat. Daxon opens the door and arms are instantly thrown around him. I stare with wide eyes as a hot pink hair covers Daxon's head and neck. I narrow my eyes.

Hmm. So he does have friends.

"Maddy, get off of me." Daxon's cold voice breaks the silence as the girl pulls back, pouting her matching lip color as her long black sleeveless dress, stops at her ankles. I blink.

"Oh, c'mon Daxy, you missed me." She smirks as the people behind her struggle to get pass her thin frame.

"Can we come in?! Damn." A taller, older man manages to slip by her and into the apartment. He puts his large brown hand on to Daxon's shoulder.

"Can all of you go inside so we can too?" A calmer voice says behind all of them. My feet stay rooted to my spot as they all filter in. After the tall guy and girl, three others follow them.

They pass me, most making eye contact and others, just ignoring I'm here. They sit on the bed behind me as Daxon shuts the door and catches up with them. He stops next to me, grabbing my hand.

"Don't just stand there. Come say hi." He doesn't let me go as we take our last few steps towards the already crowded bed. His friends sit in a small semi circle on top of it, few standing on the sides as Daxon joins them. He sits against the headboard, leaving one empty spot next to him. I don't try to sit.

I just want to run away, kinda.

He suddenly tugs my hand, bringing me down beside him. I hold in a yelp as I lean against Daxon. I glare up at him, snatching my arm out of his grip and sitting up. I look towards his friends.

"I think I've told you about my new bodyguard, Naomi." He says. They nod as I hold up a hand, waving to them. My eyes meet the girl with the pink hair as shes beams at me.

"I've been waiting to meet you for so long now! My name's Maddy." She reaches across the bed, grabbing my hand in both of her own. Her young, black eyes bore into mine as I try to smile.

"Nice to meet you too." I say, as her smile impossibly widens.

"We're going to be great friends." She says and my suspicion grows.

She wants to be my friend? What lies did Daxon tell them about me?

"She's great with knives, so she'll be the one teaching you about that from now on." Daxon says. She nods hard and I send her one back. Daxon smacks her hand on mine and she pouts, retreating back to her spot on the small bed.

"Just tell her about yourself quickly. I have to make dinner." Daxon complains as Maddy holds up a large bag.

Did she come in with that?

It's delicious smell makes my mouth water.

"I brought Chinese." She smirks. Daxon shrugs.

"It's better than the hot dogs we had planned." He leans against the headboard.

"Well I'm Cole. I do the hacking and shit with my buddy here, Matteo." The taller guy from before says, wrapping his arms around the smaller, thinner light-skin beside him. Matteo rolls his eyes and pushes, Cole's hand off.

"I can introduce myself." He says, annoyance dripping out his tone as he pushes up his glasses.

"Ugh, this is taking too long. My name is Rick, and her name is Scarlett. We collect the info and clean up shit, I guess. Can we eat now?" The man standing up by the bed whines. Scarlett stands besides him, a soft chuckle leaving her small frame.

"He's right, we can eat and chat all about the past. C'mon, Naomi. You're sitting next to me." Maddy says, picking up the food and heading to the small dinning room area close by the front door. Everyone follows her lead.

A slight grin grows on my face as they fight for seats and talk among themselves.

They're actual friends.

Daxon stops next to me, putting his hand on my shoulder.

"Welcome to the family."