ESCAPE PLAN (extra)

Both the women travelled for a day in a roundabout way and then rest at a motel they found somewhere in Manchester. With Mary as the only financer she have, Anne made no more comment or even a word of complaint.

"Why are you doing this? Why are you helping me?" She asked when they finally settled down inside a two bed room motel.

"You remind of my sister, she should have been your age by now. She was always smiling whenever we meet and she even told stories of their happy married life." Mary opened up the bag she was holding since they escaped and she brought out a Tupperware of mixed fruits and a bottle of water.

"Thank you." Anne started to munch on some fruit as she watch Mary moving around closing the curtains and locking the room.

"One day, I received a report that my sister was admitted to a hospital. She was full of bruises and burnt marks. I just discovered by then that she was abused severely whenever she cannot give any money to her shitty husband. And since gambling isn't sufficient to him anymore, he borrowed money illegally and even tried selling and using drugs. And with lack of money, people chasing you around for your debt, mixed with some withdrawal from drugs, he cannot tolerate the stress and lashed out all his frustrations on my sister. She even had broken bones and some of her burnt marks were not even cleaned properly and lead to serious infections when I found her laying on the hospital bed. She even developed cancer and when we discovered it, it was too late. I tried to search for her husband but he was nowhere to be found. A month later, he was found dead on a street. My sister then, who still loves him dearly, even after all those abuse and misfortune, soon died when she cannot take the medication regime anymore." Mary sighed deeply as she recalls some of her memories years ago.

"I am sorry." Those are the only words that came out of Anne's mouth as she listen to Mary's story. The woman just shakes her head as she is the one who decided to open up an old wound.

"If only I had known of her situation, if only I involved myself more to her life, maybe ... just maybe, we can avoid such event and I will not lose her. If I had known earlier what kind of man he is, I would've not agreed to their marriage." Mary added as she look at the stomach of Anne.

"But nothing of those are your fault. She made her decision of staying with him and hiding things from you. She stayed strong in the midst of that kind of love." Mary who since the beginning doesn't show much emotions to her had her guard down and smiled sadly. Anne felt a pang on her chest as she gave the woman some time.

"After seeing an ad about a work which would not be taxing just taking care of a person, I agreed immediately as I need to pay the balance I still have on the hospital. But when I saw you and your disposition, I felt some kind of guilt keeping you there but I cannot do anything to help you out. All I can do is to keep you safe and healthy. I'm sorry it took me too long to help you escape." A tear fell on her lap as she clenched her fists to hold her feelings.

"Thank you, Mary. You've done more than enough." Anne held Mary's fists to comfort her.