Happiness is ...

I am just so scared to touch happiness, only to have it taken away again. Maybe that is why I pushed everyone away and maybe that's why I'm so guarded.

I thought I had it all under control. I thought everything will work out fine if I just move my money and connections the way I plan to. But things are not going according to my life plan. 

She suddenly appeared before me, literally. She's just a young child that is almost covered in dust and lint. Her blond messy hair was unkempt but her eyes were like gems. Looking at that kid made me remember her and some kind of pain is creeping up from deep inside me. 

I wished for that kind of emotion to disappear from my life but deep down inside, I want her to stay by my side. Time passed by, then days, then weeks, then months ... She became an irreplaceable existence for the manor. She became someone I can proudly call my family. I lost Anne and then I lost my so-called family and what replaced them all is just one small entity, my very own daughter. 

I have never been more afraid of losing something in my life again, nothing in my life has ever meant so much to me since I started to feel void. But within those few months, Loralei is slowly filling up the emptiness in me.

It is not about me anymore. It is about her happiness and safety that I will do everything I can just to see her smile and laugh again near me inside the mansion.

"Sebastian. Keep any news about Loralei's kidnapping a secret. No one outside my control should know about this. Tell Lucy this and make everyone who knew what happen sign a contract of silence. In case of breaking the contract, they are to be fined greatly aside from imprisonment because of defamation." Sebastian just got back after sending Ms. Peter to the hospital to be checked for any more injuries. He left  her there to recuperate and to not cause any more ruckus than she already did.

"While you do that, call Vince and tell him to bring a copy of the security camera's recordings around the area. Make it haste." Sebastian nodded before he silently walk out of the door.

"It's just few hours. They are not far from reach. Just wait for me ...." I said to myself as I grit my teeth to compose myself again.

.
.
.
.

"Mary!" Baron shouted as soon as he harshly opened the crumbling door of a rugged house.

"What the-! Can't you enter quietly? Do you want to wake the entire slum and announce your entrance?" Mary gritted her teeth as she tried to control her anger at the idiot man that he hired to get Loralei.

"Oh! Sorry. Hehehe~" Baron, as easy going as he is, just laughed her anger off as he gently place the kid on the creaking bed.

"Here. Now go. I trust you never tell anyone about this. She is my daughter so I deserve to have her back." Mary handed him an envelop of money as his payment.

"Ok. Whatever, I don't care as long as I can have the money." He just shrugged as he exit the premise while drooling over the money. Mary just watch him go as she sat on the side of the bed.

"Welcome home my dear Loralei. Look what they've done to you, you look gaudy, this doesn't suite you at all. My poor daughter. I promised Anne to never let you near that family, now we have to live far away to escape from them again." She combed the hair of the sleeping girl with her hand as she think of what to pack and where to go tomorrow.

"We need to get as far as possible from that family. We are not safe as long as they are around. I need to hide you from them. What should I bring? Ah! I need to find a more suitable cloth for Loralei, too. Then, right, some food for her and water to drink. And few more shirts for us...." Mary talks to herself as she rummage that tiny house to find everything she can think of bringing and stuff them to a big travel bag. She even carefully change Lory's dress into an old shirt, short and even shoes.