7: A Fateful Encounter

Elle followed Mulan through the Enchanted Forest listening to Aurora hesitant on telling the people about Lancelot's fate. 

"I don't if I can do this, I'm not a very good liar," the princess said. 

"Oh it's not really a lie, Aurora," Mary Margaret assured the distressed princess, "Lancelot did die an honourable death and Cora did escape. All true. Just leave the particulars to us. There's no reason to cause unnecessary panic"

Mulan stopped them suddenly. 

"What's wrong?" Elle asked her concerned. 

"The tower," Mulan informed the group, "We always have sentries guarding the entrance."

She unsheathed her sword, "Stay close."

The group approached the safe haven and Elle widened her eyes at the sight. Corpses were on the ground. Elle collapsed to her knees horrified by the violence. Aurora helped the trembling girl to her feet and Elle bowed her head in silence.

"This can't be," Mulan said, "Our land- we were protected here, hidden. How did the ogres find us?"

"Ogres didn't do this," Mary Margaret said looking at one of the victims, "Cora did. Their hearts... They were ripped out. This was her magic, twisted and evil. We have to stop her."

"Too late," Mulan said and her voice wavered, "She killed them. She killed them all."

"We have to stop her before she hurts anyone else."

"Hey," Emma said pointing to a pile of debris.

Elle saw a hand moving and ran over towards Emma. 

"There's someone under there."

She moved the debris to the side to reveal a man in black clothes. 

"Please," the man pleaded, "Please help me."

"You're safe now, we won't hurt you," Mary Margaret assured him. 

"Thank you," the man breathed out and looked at them all. His gaze fixated on Elle as he let out a shaky breath.

"Have you seen him before?" Emma asked Mulan. 

"Yes, I've seen him around. He's a blacksmith. Came to our camp a couple months ago. Said he lost his hand in an ogre attack."

"Why would Cora leave a survivor? It's messy and doesn't make any sense."

"You think he's lying?" Mulan asked. 

"I think Cora's tricked us before. I don't want that to happen again," Emma said walking over to the man. 

"Here you go," she said passing him a drink, "I can't thank you enough for your kindness. Fortune, it seems, has seen fit to show me favour."

He took a drink and Emma decided to interrogate him, "An island full of corpses. You're the only one to escape. How exactly did that happen?"

"She attacked at night. Slaughtered everyone in one fell swoop. When she started ripping out people's hearts, I hid under the bodies of those who had already been killed. Pretended to be dead myself. Mercifully, the ruse worked."

"So much for favouring the brave."

"It was all I could do to survive."

"I'm going to let you in on a little secret," Emma said leaning in, "I'm pretty good at knowing when someone is lying to me."

"I'm telling you the truth," the man replied.

Emma cocked her head searching his face. 

"We should leave here in case Cora decides to come back."