36: Punishment

When Elle regain consciousness, she tried to move her body. She cried out in pain as her body throbbed. What had happened to her? 

Then she remembered the night of the ball. Peter! She looked around for her, but was unable to find him anywhere near her. She got to her feet and looked at the towering alls that surrounded her. 

"The labyrinth," Elle recalled from school, "Home of the Minotaur."

"A far worse beast lurks these corridors," a voice in her head warned her. 

Elle looked around for another person, but was unable to find one. The voice spoke up again, "I am unseen. There is no time for introductions. We must get out of this place. Allow me to be your golden twine as you escape this prison."

"You know the path?" Elle asked to no one.

"All too well," The voice took a sadder tone, "You must make haste."

Elle nodded, sensing the urgency. By now, she looked to see what she was wearing. A loose tank and black pants with boots. Her hair was down and fingerless gloves covered her hands. She was changed and knew she had to find a weapon. 

She picked up a torch from the wall and started exploring the maze. Her nose wrinkled at the sight of the animal bones before her. At least she hoped they were animal bones. 

The cry of a beast bounced off the maze walls and Elle pressed herself against the wall when she saw a corpse. No. No. No, she pleaded, Please don't be him. 

She turned it over with her foot and met the dead bod of a man. She calmed herself down and picked up a bloody sword from his body. Without thinking twice, she ran as far as she could to get away from the body. 

When she believed she was far enough, she found herself in the clearing. Several bones littered the room. Surrounding her were various tunnels. Elle could only imagine what horrors awaited her. 

"Each tunnel has a threat of its own," the voice informed her, "Cerberus is the warden of the underground prison."

"What threats are present in each tunnel?" Elle asked the voice. 

"I don't know, but the tunnel you must take is the one on the far right."

Elle walked towards it and heard the growling of the beast. She broke into a sprint, dashing down the endless hallways. Her sword was drawn and ready to slash through whatever threat awaited her. 

"Don't move.The voice warned. 

Elle immediately froze as she spotted the shadow approaching. She ducked behind a wall and waited for the figure to pass by her. When it was safe, she continued on her path where stairs appeared in front of her. On the top, was a grand gate.

Elle climbed the stairs and when she got to the top, she was taken back by the monster before her. 

The beast had three monstrous heads and a hound's body. His red eyes narrowing at her. Its sharp teeth snapping. Elle swung her blade and the beast attacked. Elle rolled to the side and panicked, how was she to defeat this creature?

"Tame it!" the voice said to her, "That is the only option."

Elle made a face. Taming such a creature seemed like a death sentence to her. Her body shuddered in fear. It towered over her and she addressed the monster, "Cerberus!"

The beast stopped and tilted its head. Elle took this opportunity to step closer to Cerberus. That was the wrong option. 

Cerberus pounced and sent her body into the gate. Elle gritted her teeth from the impact and her arms were bleeding. The scent of her blood appeared to have excited Cerberus as he stalked closer. His fangs bared and Elle knew fighting with the sword would be futile. She tossed it to the side and took a deep breath. She stretched out her hand and sent Cerberus flying back. A vine of thorns grew from her hand and extended towards Cerberus. It wrapped around the beast's front leg and sent him closer to her. Determination flickered in her eyes.