8: Behind the Pirate

"Wait, if these beans create... Portals, why not just pick one and go home? Why the compass?" Emma asked.

Hook looked at the blonde briefly, "Because there aren't any more beans. Whatever story you think you know, my dear, is most certainly wrong."

"There was a guy named Jack and a cow and something about an evil giant with a treasure and a golden goose or harp."

"Sounds like a lovely tale," Hook said, "But the truth's a little bit more gruesome." 

"The giants grew the beans, but rather than use them for good, they used them to plunder all the lands. Jack, a man who fought in a terrible war, defeating all but one of the evil giants. The beans were destroyed by the giants as they died. If they couldn't have their magic than nobody could. It's very bad form."

"Evil giants who made magic portal beans?" Emma replied still questioning the reality of the situation, "Why doesn't anyone just go up and grow some more?"

"Because one giant survived," Hook told them distant, "The strongest and most terrible of them all. And we'll have to get past him to-"

"The magic compass," Mary Margaret said piecing the puzzle together. 

"Indeed," Hook smiled at her. 

His eyes found Elle's who was trying to understand the sitation. She caught him staring and turned her head away making the captain frown. He knew he needed to talk to her, but had to accept that the time was not right.

"The treasure remains and amongst it is the compass," He said to the group, "Now it will guide us to your land. Cora has the means to open a portal with the wardrobe ashes, but he can't find your land without the compass. Once we get it, steal the ashes from her, and we're on our way."

"How do we know you're not just using us to get the compass for Cora?" Mulan asked him. 

"Because you five are far safer company," Hook said, "All I need is a ride back and my daughter. I swear allegiance to whomever gets me there first."

"So you would go against Elle to get a ride back?" Mulan asked the pirate. 

Hook nodded his head looking at Elle. It brought him pain to say he would, but if there was a way to get rid of the Dark One to ensure Elle would stay safe, he would take it.

"Then we'd better start climbing," Emma said.

"Right... So..." Hook said with tied hands, "I failed to mention that the giant enchanted the beanstalk to repel intruders."

"Alright, so how do we get up there?"

"I've gotten a counter spell from Cora," Hook informed the group reaching out his tied arms, "If you'd be so kind."

Mary Margaret stepped forward untying the rest of the rope. Her eyes shooting daggers at Hook as she did. When she finished, Hook leaned forward, "Thank you, milady."

He winked and Mary Margaret took her bow from Emma.

Hook held up his arm tapping a cuff he wore. It glowed with magic and he stared back at the ladies in front of him. 

"I've got one more of these. Cora was to accompany me. So... Which one of you four lovelies shall take her place?"

"There's five of us," Elle corrected and Hook looked at the teenager shaking his head, "Out of the question, you are not going."

"And why not?" Elle snapped refusing to back down. 

"I refuse to lose you to a giant," Hook said sternly.