37: A Change in the Wind

Emma knew that venturing into the Underworld was risky, but she was more than determined. Hook was the man she fell in love with she refused to let him go. As the heroes boarded Charon's ferry to the Underworld, the fog enveloped them.

The blonde sat in a familiar yellow buggy.

"Hey Emma," a familiar voice addressed her.

Emma whipped around coming across the one person she thought she would never see again.

"Neal?" She says in a small voice.

"Yeah. It's really great to see you," Neal smiled warmly back to her.

"Where are we? Am I dreaming?" Emma wondered.

"No," Neal shook his head, "If this were a dream, there'd be like talking donuts or something weird like that."

He got out from the back seat and settled in beside her at the front.

"Think of this as a long-distance call from an old friend," Neal told her.

"It's really you," Emma said in disbelief.

"How's our son?" Neal asked Emma.

"Great. He misses his dad," Emma replied, feeling a rush of emotions.

She lost Neal in their battle against Zelena, the Wicked Witch of the West. After he sacrificed himself to save Mr. Gold, Emma could never forget him.

"He's growing up," Emma's voice cracked.

"I bet," Neal smiled.

"Is this the Underworld?" Emma asked him, "I was on my way to the Underworld."

"Yeah, I know that's where you're heading," Neal said, his happy demeanour vanished, "That's kind of why I'm here. Don't go, Emma."

Emma could not believe what she was hearing from him. The thought of leaving Hook to fend for himself did not seem right. Not after he had sacrificed to protect her and those she loved.

"Once you get there, it is not an easy place to get out of," Neal warned her, "I know you're trying to save Hook, but trust me on this. This won't end the way you think it will."

"What does that mean? That Hook is there?" Emma asked in a quiet voice, "That I can get him."

"Yeah, he's there. And so is Elle," Neal informed her.

Elle, Emma thought. She never forgot the brave teenager who killed Peter Pan and died as a consequence. To think she was still in the Underworld as well was something Emma never considered.

"Then help me," Emma asked him, "I can split my heart and give it to him. It could work. Then we can figure out a way to save Elle."

"The Underworld is for people with unfinished business," Neal revealed to her, "And that isn't me. That's why I'm not there."

"Where are you?" Emma asked in a trembling voice.

"Someplace," Neal answered, "Someplace where I'm happy. I only came here because I care about you, Emma. Stop what you're doing before it's too late."