33: What it Means to be a Hero

After Peter left, Elle came over to Mr. Gold's side. 

"Why are you helping me?" Mr. Gold asked her.

Elle sent him a dirty look, "Contrary to my loathing of you, Dark One, we have a common interest and that is stopping him."

She pulled on the cuff and swore aloud, "Why is this bloody thing not coming off?"

"Elena, pass me the sword," Mr. Gold told her. 

She did so, but asked, "What are you planning on doing?"

He raised the sword to his wrist and Elle widened her eyes, "Have you lost your mind!"

Mr. Gold blocked her out as he brought the blade down on his wrist. Elle covered her eyes at the blood coming off of his arm. He quickly reattached it with magic and he met her horrified face. 

"You can look now," he said, frustrated, "It didn't work."

"He's probably out in the town," Elle said, moving on, "We need to stop him."

"The only way we can is if we all die," Mr. Gold warned her, "I'll kill him and myself with the dagger and you will fall as well."

She listened to his words, "Fall, but not die?"

He nodded his head, "Yes."

"Let's do it then," Elle said, valiantly, "For Storybrooke."

They headed out to confront Peter who had frozen the heroes in place. He held the scroll in his hands and was debating on who to kill off first. 

Mr. Gold started the confrontation and growled, "Stay away from them."

"Well, how about this?" Peter said unafraid, "The worm has teeth. What, you're here to protect your loved ones?"

"I'm not going to let you touch either one of them," Mr. Gold told him.

"Oh," Peter countered, "And I'd like to see that."

"Oh you will," Mr. Gold promised, "Because I have a job to finish, and I have to do whatever it takes. No loopholes. And what needs to be done has a price. A price I'm finally willing to pay."

"Pretty. Pretty words," Peter smirked, "You don't have magic though. How do you think you can stop me?"

"You see, you have lost your shadow, but there's one thing you're forgetting."

Peter's eyes flickered with an emotion Elle never thought she would see. Fear

"And what's that?" he cocked his head. 

"So have I," Mr. Gold revealed, "I sent it away with something to hide."

He lifted his arm in the air and Elle saw Mr. Gold's shadow return with the Dark One's dagger. 

"What are you doing?" Peter grunted. 

"You see, the only way for you to die... Is if I do the job myself."

Peter was pushed back as Mr. Gold plunged the dagger into Elle's side. Elle cried out in pain at the dagger in her side. She pulled it out and saw Peter weakening. 

"I should have known better than to trust Gold," Elle murmured under her breath.

"No!" Peter shouted. 

Her father had a furious look on his face at the sight of the Dark One attempting to kill her. Peter's angry eyes turned to Mr. Gold. 

"You do not know what you just started," he said clutching his side.