12: Home is Where the Heart Isn't

Emma was sitting in the jail cell with Mary Margaret. She could not believe that Cora had taken the compass and Elle hostage. 

"We are going to get out of here," Mary Margaret said looking at the paper. 

"How? By staring at that scroll?" Emma asked her doubtful, "It's not like it's gonna magically open the door for us."

"Yes, it is," Mary Margaret said smiling. 

"What?" Emma said in disbelief. 

"When I was a little girl, I used to sneak into Cora's chamber and watch her practice magic. She had a spell book, and, Emma, the spells were in the book."

"Yeah," Emma said not knowing where her mother was going with her rant, "Isn't that what a spell book is? A book that has spells in it?"

"Watch," her mother simply stated and blew on the paper. 

The ink rose magically catching everyone's attention. 

"Whoa," Emma exclaimed, "Squid ink. Gold wrote the scroll in squid ink."

Mary Margaret blew once more and the ink caused the bars of the prison to melt away allowing them to escape. 

"Good always wins," Mary Margaret reminded her. 

They headed out of the prison when Aurora stopped them. 

"Wait," the princess pleaded, "I can't go. You have to tie me up."

Emma and Mary Margaret stopped in their tracks and Mulan looked at the princess she was supposed to protect.

"No, I'm not leaving without you."

"I can't be trusted, not as long as Cora has my heart."

Mulan looked at Emma and Mary Margaret and made a vow to Aurora, "Then I will get it back for you."

"Mulan-" Aurora said. 

"I will," Mulan cut her off. 

"Mulan..." Emma said breaking the moment, "We gotta go."

"Do it," Aurora said sitting on the ground with her hands behind her back, "Good luck."

"Thank you," Mary Margaret said, "Good luck to you."

With that they hurried away to find Cora. 

*****

"Did you take her heart?" Cora asked Hook. 

Hook shook his head, "No, I didn't."

"What does all this mean?" Elle asked horrified. 

"It means that I got another thing to add to my list of revenge," Hook said threateningly, "He stole my daughter's heart."

Elle widened her eyes thinking of Mr. Gold. He must have had her heart. 

"We must continue," Cora said pushing Elle to the side, "Time is of the essence. The ashes."

She held out the vial to Hook, "Would you care to do the honours?"

Hook took the vial and smiled deviously. He poured the contents into the water and Elle watched as the water turned into a whirlpool. They had done it, Elle thought, They were going to succeed.

"Here we go," Cora said as the wind picked up, "We'll be in Storybrooke soon enough. I really look forward to seeing my daughter."

Cora held out the compass, "I told you I'd deliver you to Rumplestiltskin. Now don't let go, unless you want to end up someplace other than Storybrooke. Grab your daughter."