35: Forbidden Lovers

Elle's dress on top

☆~~~~~☆~~~~~★~~~~~☆~~~~~☆

Her hands ran over the soft fabric of the dress. The small cape attached to the shoulders covering her like the leaves on a delicate flower. The bodice had light pink flowers and a tulle skirt. 

Nadia had tied her hair back into an elegant ponytail. Flowers were pinned to her hair and she looked like a true goddess even knowing she was anything but that.

"Come," Nadia said, pulling my wrist, "It is time to meet his liege."

The lady in waiting eye's lit up as if recalling something, "I almost forgot, take this."

She handed her a mask. It was light with flowers printed on it. Roses were attached to it. Elle looked at Nadia, "What is this?"

"The ball is a masquerade," Nadia informed her.

"How would I know who is who then?" Elle inquired. 

Nadia sighed, "It was intended for the gods to stay neutral. By not knowing which god is which, they have no other choice but to remain civil with everyone."

"I see," Elle said, opening the door. 

Hades stood on the other side wearing a black tux. His cleanly shaven face and blue eyes took her figure in. 

"You look radiant, my goddess," Hades said and leaned in. 

Elle instinctively put distance between the two of them. Hades noticed and frowned, "My Queen, we must learn to get along. We managed to do so before."

"I don't know what you believe, but I am not a god. I am a pirate," Elle told him. 

She gasped when Hades pinned her to the wall. His grip was tight and Elle was sure her arms would be bruised. 

"Enough of this," Hades hissed and Elle's body trembled in fear, "I am your King and you will obey my will. Let me warn you, I will not hesitate to put you in your place by any means necessary."

He kissed her cheek, "Atlas, tonight is a night where we celebrate your return. Enjoy and indulge in the luxury."

He guided her through the palace and came out into a golden hall. Guests in masks were engaging small talk with each other when their attention drew to the guest of honour up on the staircase. 

"Introducing, His Liege, Hades and his goddess Persephone," the announcer said. 

"It's not Persephone," Elle argued, "It's Elle."

The announcer gave her a blank look and Hades tugged her down the staircase. Her hands glided dow the railing as the crowd resumed their previous engagements. 

"My Queen," Hades said through his obsidian mask, "I will be mingling with the guests. You are free to do as you will, but be mindful that every actions has consequences. Am I clear?"

"Understood, sir," Elle responded intimidated. 

Hades left her side and blended into the crowd while Elle stood alone. The constant eyes staring in her direction made her feel uncomfortable. A waiter walked past her holding a glass of what appeared to be wine. She took it and looked at the waiter confused, "What is this?"