Act 5 Scene 3

"Nefertari I need an outfit for combat," I called when I entered my tent. After giving me a weird look I explained what was going on and in no time I was in a shirt and a skirt with long boots and stockings.

My retainers followed me back to where I last spoke with Xander. He wasn't wearing all his armour, which I was thankful for. He had a shirt that he must wear under his chest plate and if I couldn't of guessed before, this guy is muscular.

"Are you ready Victoria?" He had what looked like a bronze lance in his hand.

" Yes, Alexandros, my axe," I reached my arm out to the side and grasped the bronze axe I asked him to fetch for me. Nefertari stood between us, her and Alexandros we're going to be our referees.

"Alright, begin!" She announced and I hoisted the axe up, it was a little heavier than I remember. I just hope I don't come off balance. Xander twirled the lance around like it was lighter than air. I know I have the advantage with the weapon, but I certainly have the disadvantage when it comes down to pure physical strength.

Finally shifting the axe in my hands I made my move. Who ever fell or dropped their weapon first lost. While I tried to make very calculated swings and aim in certain spots, it must've looked to Xander that I was just swinging with all my might just hoping something would work.

I'm not quite sure how long we sparred, but it was awhile before Xander managed to make me fall. I fell onto my bottom on the dirt with an 'oof' and the axe clattered on the ground next to be.

"Very well done Victoria. For saying it's been awhile, your technique is still quite good," he extended his hand down to help me up, I accepted and once back on my feet and brushed the dirt off of me before whipping the bit of sweat that was on my forehead with the back of my hand.

"Really? I figured that it looked more like I was just swinging away hoping something would work." He chuckled.

"I know your a thinker, you think about every move. But I would never ask you to go into a real battle with an axe, you are incredibly skilled with magic. Don't tell my brother I said this, but you are more talented than Leo is."

"W-why thank you Xander, I'm quite flattered," his compliment made my heart flutter as I stammered out a reply.

"I should let you head back to your tent, we march into Hoshido tomorrow."

"And that's where the real war will begin," all these other battles have just been road blocks, the real fighting is in our sights.

"That's right. I know the chances are very slim, but please survive through this Victoria, I'm sure we'll lose people in the coming days, but I don't want to see your body among them."

"It'll take more than a few Hoshidans to take me down. But the same to you Xander, your family needs you and one day your kingdom will need you." We stood there looking at each other, should I say something more?

"Cough, Princess you should be returning to your tent to rest," I was taken back into reality by Alexandros. Blinking I focused on what was going on, I was staring at Xander, I felt my face heat up. Quickly looking away and smoothed out my skirt.

"Yes, I should be going. I can't wait to be back in a castle to have a proper bath, good day Xander," I waved and then quickly walked away, Nefertari and Alexandros following behind me.

"Vikky can you slow down a little bit, Alexandros is having trouble keeping up," Nefertari said with a slight laugh, Alexandros however did not find it very funny and mumbled a few things under his breath but I did slow my pace.

Back in my tent I changed into another gown and then I asked my retainers to leave me for awhile saying I wanted to rest, my muscles did hurt after that sparring session. As I laid down I thought about what Corrin said to me early and then my interactions with Xander.