Chapter Eight

**Adalyn's POV**

I threw my bag onto the cheap hotel bed and plant myself down beside it. I had been sitting in the impala all day but for some reason I felt extremely tired. Boredom drained all my energy. I had gotten to hear Dean sing along to old songs which was amusing for the first hour but in the following nine hours, it started to get old. Sam had set his bag down on the floor and had already begun to set the books and papers about the case on the table. Dean came in and immediately checked the bed and was sorely disappointed.
"Oh c'mon no Magic Fingers at this place. I brought my quarters and everything." He pouted.
"There are things more important than whether or not our hotel has Magic Fingers. We should be heading out soon anyways. If my data is correct, the vampires should be having some sort of an initiation ritual which will be in two hours from now." Sam said handing Dean a stack of papers.
He flipped through them, nodding his head as he did so.
"Alright. Let's go Sam. Adalyn if you don't mind I want you to stay back. This job is too big and dangerous for a beginner. Don't worry though, Cas is here." He winked and they both left.
I nodded and although I was a little disappointed I respected his wishes. He was the expert after all. I sighed and patted my hands on my knees. Cas didn't seem like a very outgoing guy and I barely knew him. It was a little beyond awkward. He stared at me with his eyes slightly squinted together and his mouth almost frowning. I glanced at the clock hoping to see that half an hour has passed but only three minutes have gone by.
"How has puberty been so far?" He asked breaking the silence, he asked so innocently.
"What! I don't feel comfortable answering that!" I gasped and laughed at the same time.
Dean had warned me before that Cas was on the odd side but I didn't realize what he meant until now. I guess he didn't have much human interaction and proper social etiquette being an angel.
"I'm not very good at talking to teenage girls... or any aged girls for that matter." He shrugged.
I laughed, "Well I am not very good at talking to angels so I think we are even."
"I can tell that Dean has changed since you arrived. I have known him for a long time. I have been on his good and bad side and I have never seen him like this. I think he really likes having you here, we all do." Cas said.
He stared off into space as if reliving memories he wanted to forget. I felt warm fuzzies spread throughout my body. I'm overcome with happiness over his words but then I remember the Mark of Cain. The fuzzies flee from my body and I start to feel my shoulders slump.
"Will you promise me something?" I asked, he looked up to me waiting for what I was going to continue with.
"Will you try to do everything in your power to keep Dean from going dark?" My voice was trembling and weak.
He got up and sat down beside me. He let out a deep breath and sighed. I knew what he was going to say and I didn't want to hear it. I would rather him lie to me than say it.
"I promise you that I will try to stop it... but I can't promise you that it won't happen and if it does happen you have to understand the actions I must take." He said as he stared at me with his apologetic puppy dog eyes.
"You won't kill him right!" I cried.
"Adalyn... what you don't understand is that when he goes to the dark side he is stronger than the King of Hell. If there is any sign that he seriously getting progressively worse I have to take him out before he gets there. I will not make the promise that I will restrain from killing him but I will do everything in my power to try to keep him from getting to that point.... But sadly he might already be there." He whispered the last part.
I felt the tears stream down my face and I turned away from Cas. I got up and went to the bathroom, locking the door behind me. I couldn't stand to be near the man who might kill my father. I don't care if Dean might turn into some demon. Cure him don't just cut his throat and watch him bleed out. Dean thinks of Cas as a friend, why would a friend do that to you? I leaned against the door and slid myself down until I reached the ground. I let the sobs tremble my body as I cried.
"I'm sorry...." I heard Cas choke out on the other side of the door.
I could hear in his voice the true sincerity of it. The odd thing was that angels are not supposed to have human emotions.