Chapter Sixteen

**Adalyn's POV**

Hospitals always give me the creeps. The idea of a building fill of sick and dying people sent goosebumps to my skin. Despite my views of them I walked next to Sam down the hallway filled with rushing doctors and nurses. Occasionally some the doors were open and my curiosity got the best of me and I would look in. All the tubes and IV's made me shiver. I hope to god that I never have to stay in a hospital. I would rather die. Sam rounded the corner and then stopped at room 295. He knocked on the slightly opened door before opening it further.
The woman from last night was perched up, a little more than lying down but less than sitting up. Dark bags were settled in beneath her eyes and her hair was a mess. Her arms were firmly by her sides.
"Excuse me, sorry to interrupt but we are the people who found you last night." Sam said.
She forced a smile onto her tired face. We walked farther into the room so we weren't standing in the doorway.
"I am a federal agent. I was sent here to investigate the murders that have taken place recently. We have reason to believe that the killer was the person who had stabbed you. Is there anything distinct that you remember about your attacker?" Sam asked.
He talked so calmly and serene to her. How can a man who has seen such horrid things be so peaceful? I don't think I could ever be so kind and patient as he is.
"It was a male. He was a lot taller than me, probably around six foot. He was white. Oh, he had a deep voice and wore a denim jacket.... That's all I know," she said almost as if disappointed in herself.
"Thank you so much mam. Both of us hope that you will have a fast recovery."
She smiled and we left the room. I felt like we should have stayed and talked to her but we had work to do and I wasn't the most sociable person. I am quiet until you get to know me. I felt all tension reside from my body as we exited the hospital and into the fresh air. I let out a breath that I didn't know I was holding.
"Did the denim jacket do it for you?" I asked as we got into the car.
Sam sighed. We both were thinking the same thing.
"We can't assume anything although the description fits." Sam bellowed.
"If it's him..." I started but couldn't finish. I felt my throat close up.
"I know,"
Sam stared me in the eyes. Both of us were fearing the same thing. I removed my gaze from him and stared at the ground. He started the car and began to drive.
"Ummm, thank you for taking care of me since Dean's been gone." I said.
He smirked, "Its been my pleasure. It gets a little lonely being on the road by yourself. Besides if we are correct about this case... there will be no more Dean taking care of you."
I squeezed my eyes shut hearing him say it as tears itched to flood out. Why did I have to come and find my dad? Why did I have to get myself so attached to something so fragile? I dropped my hand to my calf and slightly squeezed. Pain rushed into my leg. It was my way of forcing myself to realize why I had to leave my past life. Although the bruise was mostly gone there were places that were still very sensitive. The place that would never heal though was my brain. I would always be reminded of what she did to me. I thought that by running away would help me heal but I will never heal. No amount of bandages can hold me together... and the same goes for Dean.