Chapter 21 - Jambalaya

Tossing and turning you groan and sit up. Looking to your clock you see it was 2 in the morning. Sliding a hand down your face you realised how dry your mouth was, guess that's why you woke up. Walking out your room quietly you go to the elevator and head to the kitchen. Rubbing your eyes you notice the kitchen lights were on. Stopping in your tracks you slowly took a knife from the dining table, stalking in, you look around and are met with the smell of food.

"The hell?" You whisper to yourself, walking further into the kitchen you hear a humming from the main source of smell. "Al?" The humming stops and the demon turns to you with his usual smile.

"Hello, my dear, what are you doing up?"

"What are you doing cooking a full meal?" You counter making him laugh. "Is that Jambalaya?"

"Yes indeedy, mother's recipe!" Alastor takes a spoon and gets a good bit on it before handing it over to you. Blowing on the food until it cooled down Al went back to cooking. The moment you tasted the food you grinned.

"Al this is amazing!" His grin grows as he keeps his eyes on the food. "But it needs more salt..." taking a small teaspoon you put a good amount in the pot as he continues to stir it. Taking another spoonful you hold it up to Alastors lips. Quirking a brow he blows on the jambalaya and eats it. "See?"

"You were right," he continues to hum a soft tune.

"What are you doing cooking Jambalaya at 2 in the morning?"

"Felt a little peckish..." smiling you get a glass of water before sitting on the counter top. You snicker as you see Al wearing a pink apron with a single strawberry at the top.

"Love the apron, red," he looks down and grins.

"I do too," he turns off the stove and gets out two bowls. "Hope you're hungry,"

"Starved," he places a good amount in the bowl and hands it over. Immediately you eat the dish as he does too. "Do you like cooking?"

"It's the best past time," he says happily, leaning against the counter next to you. "My mother would teach me every Sunday until I could cook for myself,"

"That's really sweet..."

"Do you know how to cook?" You shake your hand from side to side.

"Enough to survive, nothing fancy... but I'm ok with it because I'd rather be the best at family meals instead of those $100 truffle gold leaf yada-yada,"

"I agree with you there," he looks down at his bowl before looking up at you a silence passing over you two. "If you don't mind me asking... why are you in hell?" You quirk a brow. "You aren't exactly the most evil person I know... you haven't even killed someone!" You cringe and look down at your bowl.

"That's uh... that's actually a lie..." he turns to you with a raised brow. "I have killed someone... but it was in self defence!..." you sigh and place down your bowl. "Apparently that's enough to get you into hell..." you give a tilted frown and pick at your palm. Alastor puts a finger under your chin and turns your head to him.

"My dear, don't frown, it doesn't suit you," a subtle smile starts to appear on your face. "Come on, more than that," giving the best smile you could he laughs. "There it is,"

"Thanks, Al,"

"Whatever for?" You shrug and look down.

"For being great company, you seem to always be there for me," you nudge the demon lightly making him smile wider. "You aren't a horrible person like people think, you're really sweet and polite, not to mention really charming, I think I'm rambling on a bit but I just-" you were suddenly cut off when his lips meet yours. Standing a little shocked you stare at a slightly pink Alastor, his eyes shut. He suddenly pulls back with wide eyes.

"My, I'm so sorry, I'm not sure what came over me-" taking him by the collar you pull him back in for another kiss. Wrapping your arms around his neck his hand places itself on your cheek, another going on your waist. Tilting your head you deepen the kiss in longing, slowly he pushes back making you grin. Letting your leg wrap around his waist you pull back for air.

"Why are the kitchen lights on?" You hear footsteps from the dining room approaching. Alastor was quick to move away and pick up his bowl, casually eating again. "Hey, why are you guys up?"

"Jambalaya, Husker my friend!" The entire group looks into the pot and smiles. "Hungry?"

"I could eat," Niffty takes out bowls and quickly puts the food in each bowl like the efficient demon she was.

"Hey, Y/n, why are you so red?" You stutter over your words trying to find an answer for Charlie's question.

"Because of the spice! This Jambalaya does have a kick," Al answers for you.

"Yeah, theres a bit of cayenne in it," you quickly compose yourself.

"Nice apron, Smiles," Angel looks the demon up and down.

"Thank you, Angel," the rest of the night everyone chatted together, eating and laughing until the sun rose. From time to time you would give the deer demon a side glance which he would catch eventually.

"This was great! Thanks," Charlie places her bowl down and Niffty was quick to take it to the sink.

"You're very welcome," Alastor nods at the rest of the group who had full stomaches. Taking off his apron he places it on the counter as you walk away. "Y/n," you stop and turn around to the demon who had caught up to you.

"Yeah?"

"I would like to thank you," you both walk out the dining room.

"There seems to be a lot of that going on tonight," he chuckles a smiles down at you.

"Seems so... but yes, tonight has been wonderful," you blush, giving a soft smile. Entering the elevator it slowly brought you two to the right floor. "I hope you have a nice night, darling," he takes your hand and softly kisses before walking down the hall towards his room.

~~~

You would not believe that this is the third chapter I've written today

- Anna ❤️