Chapter 23 - Toxic

Slipping on a dark toned gold dress you zip it up and go to your mirror to apply a layer of maroon lipstick. Humming the slow tune your shadow pops up for support.

"You're going to do great,"

"I hope so... want to go over it one more time?" The shadow scoffs.

"I'll be fine!" Nodding you centre Alastors necklace and take a deep breath before walking out the door.

"Where is this extra band member you were talking about?" Mimzy says worriedly when she walks up beside you.

"Already here, calm down, Mimz, I'll be fine,"

"Oh, doll, I know you'll do great! Good luck," waiting backstage you were soon called on. Walking on casually, the song starts and you hum the tune until you clicked your fingers and your shadow appeared behind you and continued the tune with a saxophone.

Baby, can't you see I'm calling?
A guy like you should wear a warning
It's dangerous, I'm falling...

A few people gasp quietly at the sudden shadow but calm down when you continue to sing softly.

There's no escape, I can't wait
I need a hit
Baby, give me it
You're dangerous, I'm loving it

Glancing over the audience you see a group of guys holding up tip money. Grinning, you send a wink their way.

Too high, can't come down
Losing my head, spinnin' 'round and 'round
Do you feel me now?

One of the guys places the tip in the jar up front as you lean down and sing to him.

With a taste of your lips, I'm on a ride!
You're toxic, I'm slippin' under...
With a taste of a poison paradise...

He quickly takes out more money and stuffs it in the jar making you grin.

I'm addicted to you
Don't you know that you're toxic?...
And I love what you do
Don't you know that you're toxic?...

Standing back up straight you close your eyes and sing the next part softly.

It's getting late to give you up
I took a sip from my devil's cup
Slowly, it's taking over me!...

Leaning back slightly you put more power into your voice.

Too high, can't come down!
It's in the air and it's all around
Can you feel me now?(!)

Looking back at the crowd you see Al looking slightly irritated at the men. He suddenly looks up into your eyes, his gaze softens.

With a taste of your lips, I'm on a ride
You're toxic, I'm slippin' under
With a taste of a poison paradise

Looking straight to him you blush but continue to sing the chorus, solely to him.

I'm addicted to you
Don't you know that you're toxic?
And I love what you do!
Don't you know that you're toxic?(!)

He slowly sips on his drink as you keep your eyes on him. Repeating the chorus once more eventually you get to the outro. Closing your eyes you belt out the lyrics.

Intoxicate me now with your lovin' now!
I think I'm ready now, I think I'm ready now!

You shadow continues to play professionally, working perfectly with your voice.