6. The Invitation

I stay talking to Annie and Mac for a while to delay going to Kitten's house, and not because I have to apologize if I don't want Pops to kick me out of the house, which he might

I stay talking to Annie and Mac for a while to delay going to Kitten's house, and not because I have to apologize if I don't want Pops to kick me out of the house, which he might. My dad loves Jimmy and me more than anything, but he's not one to take bullshit.

My unease has more to do with Annie's words. Kitten and I have never talked face to face. What I know about her comes from rumors and assumptions. What if others know things I don't?

I finish putting away some more tools that arrived this morning, wash my hands, and exit the garage under my dad's scrutiny. We've been working side by side for the last hour, but he glanced at his watch more than twice, which is his way to tell me I have things to do.

The old truck I've seen next to the haunted house isn't there anymore. I'm relieved Kitten's alone — talking to her mother isn't on the list of things I want to do. I haven't met her yet, but the woman has a permanent scowl on her face whenever my eyes land on her.

I climb the steps of Kitten's porch and press the doorbell. It echoes through the house, and the sound of footsteps reaches me.

The door opens. Kitten's on the other side of it, wearing the same baggy clothes.

As soon as she sees it's me, she tries to close the door in my face, but I put my boot-clad foot between the door and the doorframe, and Kitten rolls her eyes and steps aside to let me into the house.

"What do you want, O'Brien? If you're here to harass me further, do it fast and go away. I'm too tired to deal with you."

None of my smartass remarks leave my mouth. I finally study the chick.

She's thin. I see it even though she's hiding behind all that fabric. Her skin's fair, and her eyes are a mix of gray and blue, big and framed with long lashes. Although Kitten's hair is gathered in a bun, and only a few strands are loose, I can tell it's long. She's beautiful. Way prettier than Bella or any chick I've fucked, but that's not why I'm standing in her crappy house.

"I want to apologize," I say. "I was an ass to you earlier; I'm sorry. I say stuff without thinking, and I shouldn't have done that."

Kitten rolls her eyes. "No shit, Sherlock. Okay, you've said it, now go."

I look at my feet and then at her. "No. I'm also here to invite you to the barbecue in our yard tomorrow because my dad opened his motorbike repair shop. It's a celebration for everyone in town. We'll have food and music and— "

Kitten chews on her lip, avoiding my eyes. "Why would I go there? To let you insult me some more and allow you to make me feel ridiculous?"

"I said I'm sorry."

"Are you, though? Or are you doing it because your dad will kick your ass again otherwise?"

My cheeks flush. She saw what happened in my room. That shit's embarrassing; it makes me feel as if I were a kid instead of a grown-ass man. Maybe Pops is right, and I don't act like an adult. Fuck this shit.