38. Happy Birthday

I am turning nineteen today, and I have many things to be grateful for

I am turning nineteen today, and I have many things to be grateful for. I have my family, my job, and my girlfriend. I have everything, but something is missing, and I make the biggest effort I can to prevent myself from overthinking.

Overthinking leads to cigarettes, pills, and stupid decisions.

Kitten's mood doesn't help my case, either. She's been quiet, and not her usual, shy kind of quiet. Something has been bothering her since the day we went shopping. I've been too busy with the garage stuff to even talk to her, let alone spend quality time together.

Pops' business is growing fast, almost too quickly, which means little rest for the two of us.

Although Lenny is throwing me a party at his house tonight, I will have another celebration at home tomorrow. Jim and my grandparents will come, too, and I invited Leah.

That will be tomorrow, but tonight, Pops will stay at Mom's, and my house will be empty. I'd be lying if I said I don't want to be alone with Leah if only to kiss her without prying eyes. It won't be more than that because she isn't ready for more yet, but I plan to take advantage of the night we can spend on our own.

Pops went into town to buy some stuff, leaving me in charge once again. I am almost done changing the brake pads on a bike when Mac strolls into the garage.

"Happy Birthday to the ex whore," the fucker says, grinning. "Here's to many more happy years."

"Thanks." I laugh, cleaning my hands with a paper towel before hugging my best friend. "Did anything happen?"

Mac slaps my back and says, "All is cool. I had time on my hands and decided to give you your gift before the party."

"You didn't have to get me anything," I say.

Mac shrugs and reaches into his pocket, retrieving a small box.

"Dude, are you gonna propose?" I gasp. "Wait, let me fix my hair."

Chuckling, Mac gives me the box and rolls his eyes. "Don't flatter yourself, dude. You're handsome, but not my type."

I smile, opening my gift.

It's a silver bracelet. The design is simple; just the way I like it. What makes me emotional as fuck is the word Brother engraved onto it.

'Thank you," I say to Mac, blinking away the moisture that appeared in my eyes all of a sudden.

"You're welcome. I wanted to give you something more or less original. I'm glad you like it."

"I love it. I'm lucky to have a friend like you."

Mac laughs. "Right. Who else would put up with your shit?"

"Hey, dudes."

Mac and I swivel our heads around and see Lenny.