22. Eighteen

I stretch under the comforter and hug the soft pillow, smiling when the warm rays of sun land on my face

"Meow."

Something tickles my foot, and I giggle, moving it away.

"Meeeeeow."

All traces of sleep vanish when my eyes flare, and I am met with Brian's smile. "Happy Birthday, Kitten."

I bolt upright. I'm in my PJs, which is a good sign. Brian is dressed in his signature black tee, black jeans, and biker boots on his feet. It must be late already — the sunlight is streaming in through the open window.

"Thank you," I say, my voice still groggy. "What happened last night?"

I'm stunned when Brian grins and pecks my cheek. "You saw the boy. And you liked it."

He sings the last part like Katy Perry, and heat engulfs my cheeks.

"Oh my God," I mumble, covering my face with my palms.

Brian plops down on the bed next to me and rubs my back. "No worries, Princess, the boy liked you too. He was still standing straight this morning. You told him to be quiet, and the dude's nothing but obedient. Oh, and before you freak out more, we kissed. Quite a lot, might I add. I should probably reconsider the nickname cause your tongue is too smooth to belong to a kitten. I had a good taste of it. You also let me put my hands on your butt, but only there. It looks delicious in your shorts. If you don't believe me, ask the boy. You said you were in love with him cause he's big and beautiful, so his opinion should matter."

"Oh my God, stop!" I grab a spare pillow and press it to my face. Brian laughs, and I wonder if he's ever embarrassed, shy, or even a tiny bit uncomfortable.

"Okay, Kitten, judging by your cheerful demeanor, you're not hungover, so go dress that cute butt of yours and let's have breakfast at my grandparents'. They are waiting for us."

I roll out of bed and dart to the bathroom. By the time I'm ready to go, Brian had tidied everything up. He grabs our jackets, and we make our way outside.

I admire the postcard-like scenery of the most stunning place I've ever been. It's a warm winter morning. Only some birds and a distant murmur of the sea break the quiet. Brian smiles at me while I'm taking everything in and laces his fingers through mine as we approach the main house.

His grandmother hugs me as soon as we enter the kitchen. "Happy Birthday," she says, squeezing me tightly.

"Thank you," I reply and blush. It's unusual for someone to be so affectionate toward me when they barely know me.

"Ben's on the porch, setting the table. We'll eat there if you don't mind."

"Sure." I smile.

Brian and I head there. Evelyn brings a plate full of pancakes, and we sit to have breakfast.