24. Like Casper

Pops stands next to me and scratches his chin

"Carburetor?"

"Yeah. I'll have to adjust the jets. Hope it'll be enough."

"Good. Do it tomorrow."

"Why not today?"

"Cause you've been working your ass off all week, Son. It's almost Friday. Don't you have a life?"

The twinkle in Pops' eyes brings a smile to my lips. "I do. Kinda. Okay, I'm gonna see Mac."

Pops nods. I put away the tools and wash my hands. My gaze lands on the box sitting on the shelf, and Dad sees it.

"Those are nice for a girl."

"I know." I sigh and glance at the boots I ordered for Kitten. They arrived an hour ago, and I have to figure out how to give them to her without running into her.

Dad gives me an eyebrow wiggle and slaps my shoulder on his way to the office.

"Later, Pops!" I say as I grab the bag and exit the garage.

Kitten isn't home. I saw her leave the house with Grace. They must have started getting along better. It's not the first time they've gone out together over the last few days, not that I keep tabs.

I don't.

Fuck. Of course, I do.

There's nothing worse than the bullshit you feed yourself when you're in denial. I'm afraid I might be.

I have a genius idea to climb the ladder and open Kitten's window, leaving her new boots on the windowsill. I should write a note, but she'll know they're from me, anyway.

The next thing I do is hop on Fat Boy and ride to the gym. Mac's wrapping up a self-defense class with a girl, and I do a set of warm-ups, waiting for him.

"Hey, Bri," he says, slightly out of breath. "How's it going?"

"Okay. You?"

"All good. Too much work, but I'm not complaining."

"Of course, you're not." I snicker. The gym is Mac's baby. It's on his list of great loves right under Annie cause the chick will always come first.

"What do you wanna do? Boxing, weights?"

"Both."

"Rough week?"

I shake my head but forget that Mac can read me like an open book. The fucker has known me since we were babies with tiny dicks.

"Spill it while we're alone. I guess this shit isn't for Lenny's ears, and he's stopping by soon," Mac says.

I wrap my hands, slide on the boxing gloves, and punch the leather bag. "You guessed right. I took Leah to my grandparents' last weekend."